Orpington chicks growing up

Pics

JaeG

Crossing the Road
7 Years
Sep 29, 2014
New Zealand
Having taken so many photos (and searched through so many threads about trying to sex them) I thought I would post some photos of my Orpington babies in the hopes it helps someone else. My Orpingtons are mixed colours - the breeder I got them from keeps mixed colour groups so she gets some interesting colour combinations.

We started out with 6 that we gave to my broody bantam who loves being a mother. At 3 weeks we went and got 3 more from the breeder as all our blues sprouted combs and wattles.

Please note the kids named most of them!

Day 1

Little Boy Blue (I was pretty sure by the way he always stood upright that this one was a boy)

Blueberry Muffin

Butternut

Cuddles (dark one at the front)

Greeny in the food bowl

Fairy Floss (white or splash - we still aren't sure at 5 weeks)

3 Weeks Old - as a side note, at 19 days old the boys started sprouting their wattles!

Little Boy Blue

Blueberry Muffin

Butternut

Cuddles

Greeny

Fairy Floss

Here are our 3 new babies

Cinnamon Roll and Miss Muffet (who is a week younger)

This chick is still without a name as it's very well feathered (unlike the other boys) but has a big comb and small wattles that haven't dropped yet. Time will tell. It's very friendly though and started reacting to our broody bantam very quickly.

4 Weeks Old

Little Boy Blue

Muffin

Butternut

Cuddles

Greeny

Fairy Floss

Cinnamon Roll

Nameless

Miss Muffet

5 Weeks Old

It's getting tricky to take photos of them as they are more likely to jump on me than pose! Bang on 5 weeks their mother gave up on them (same as last time she had chicks) so she's back in the big coop.

Little Boy Blue

Muffin

Butternut

Cuddles

Greeny

Fairy Floss

Cinnamon Roll

Sooty (I felt bad it didn't have a name - looking more like a boy)

Miss Muffet

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom