orpington color *blue*

Quote:
This is very true, but Blue was pretty darn rare in Orps here in the USA in 1993 so I'm guessing they do have something in the variety section now where they didnt' in '93.

I do not have the APA standard; I have the Bantam Standard, so I cannot verify if there is anything different for blue in orpingtons than in other breeds, but I would be very surprised if there is. Even silkies, who do not have, or at least do not appear to have lacing do not have a different standard for blue.

Just checked the latest SOP for the Blue Orp standard. It still says 'refer to page 37 for description" However, like you said, Sonoran, it is hard to see that there is lacing. The hackle and saddle and tail are mainly black. If someone has some well-laced Blues, I would LOVE to see them. The Blue Cochin Roo I have from a very reputable breeder, his hackle/saddle/tail feathers are black with no noticable lacing to them. The pullets and hens that lacing is very clear all over their body, but doesn't seem to carry through the entire body on the boys.

As for the OP's yellowing (leakage) it may be genetic, but it could just be some sun bleaching. It is unfortunate if you do get it in the genes, but look at him after his first molt and see if that yellow is still there if you keep him around that long. If you still see it after the molt, the it is genetic and I wouldn't keep him around. Funny thing is, I had a Blue Ameraucana roo this spring (he was a jerk and met his end) but even though he has some leakage of yellow on his shoulders, his son is as dark and shiny and beautiful as you could want without a trace of yellow, and he has been outside all summer. His mom must have had some strong genes going into that pairing.

I do not believe that he is a splash. Blue can vary QUITE a lot in shade. And FWIW, many people really prefer the lighter shades. Breed to a black rather than another blue or splash if you want darker offspring. I'd worry more over type than depth of colouring in deciding to breed him or not. I don't really know orpington standards, so I cannot comment on how well he meets the breed standard.

He is fine! The brassiness is from the sun and will moult out. If it was leakage it would be gold or red in color. He's nice size and obviously has good personality if you can have the kids hold him. If you want darker blue chicks then breed him to some blacks, but it's really a personal choice. The lighter blue roosters tend not to show much lacing.
I wouldn't worry about it- looks like you have a good boy there
wink.png

If you're going to "do it right," then you need to look at the bird as a whole when making decisions about breeding. People get hung up on color, but in most breeds (of any animal, not just chickens) as long as something about the color of the animal isn't a disqualifying fault then it is usually the least important thing that judges are looking at. I've seen a lot of people on here post the quote about building the barn before you paint it, and there is a lot of truth to it. I'd say, if he has a great personality, good size, and decent type you should go ahead and use him even if his color isn't quite where you want it to be.

Yes I did start thinking too much about color. But originally what all made me fall in love with him and start esearching orpingtons was his personality. He is a sweet boy and the kids aren't afraid of him, he is gentle when he takes the food from out hands and he is gentle to the hens, we aquired a black roo from same clutch as Blue but that thing was meaner than could be, ran kids up trees and they would cry if they had to go past him, I had figured if blue was so friendly than it had to be where he came from, but I guess not. Got rid of that black rooster (darn it too cuz he was sssoooooooo pretty) and then decided I want more with blues personality....then recently stumbled across coloring and got hung up on that.
Now I need to research the standard...just so hard for ME to do that without anything to touch...I'm a hands on person... I'll go over more pictures and compare..but I do know standard says 10lbs...pretty sure he is closer to 13-15...he's huge but I've seen others show bigger birds.

Now the colors...I've seen pictures of leakage and I honestly don't think its that, but from the sun. He has not had his first molt yet, don't know when they are supposed to do that he is pushing 8 months.

Quote:
Definitely NOT splash...not even close. He does look almost lavender but probably just a really light blue with no lacing. they do sun bleach as you guessed and it will give them a brownish tan tinge to their feathers. red leakage is obvious and I dont see any leakage on him. just a big pretty light blue bird, if you like him then keep him and use him, odds of getting proper colored chicks from him are very low but if your not showing who cares. enjoy him !

Quote:
Definitely NOT splash...not even close. He does look almost lavender but probably just a really light blue with no lacing. they do sun bleach as you guessed and it will give them a brownish tan tinge to their feathers. red leakage is obvious and I dont see any leakage on him. just a big pretty light blue bird, if you like him then keep him and use him, odds of getting proper colored chicks from him are very low but if your not showing who cares. enjoy him !

I had to go back and find what my Splash cockerel looked like last year. You are absolutely right. I don't know what I was thinking when I said that. Here is a shot of what my splash boy looked like, or at least most of him looked like. He is gone now though, got rid of him last winter.
40608_splash_orp_ckcl.jpg

Well thank you everyone... I do believe he is a VERY light blue...does this happen from breeding blues to blues? Loose some lacing and color kinda like splash loose splashes?

I think I will still give him a try in the spring, a lady has a black, splash and lav or very light blue hen from same lady and we will see what happens... I will really watch the offspring from black hen, other than that I know I lot of people in my area who only see hatchery buffs will like some fun colors....

Then my next hope is these guys for next year
106215_2011-11-09_11-32-50_398.jpg

Thinkin 2 blues 1 splash (or 3 varieties of splash?) And a black, one more in incubator that piped at wrong end I've been helping all morning will see if it makes it...
Will watch these guys grow and take in to mind what I've learned here
smile.png

Here is my blue Orp Roo at 6 months. He has so much maturing to do, but the lacing is there already. Your boy is gorgeous, I would use him just for type, and cross fingers and toes that bred to Black you would get the lacing that is preferred. But then I am new in this chicken stuff myself, so guess its your choice.
71338_prince.jpg

Back
Top Bottom