orpington color *blue*

LilQtBear

Chirping
8 Years
Sep 10, 2011
Oregon
I've been trying to google to find like a "orpington color standards" with discription of what each color SHOULD look like on the recognized colors...like blue...trying to find disqulifications and stuff too. I'm newer to this and realized my very handsome fluffy blue roo isn't as dark as others and missing the lacing I see in others too. So if I want to breed for the right coloring...I need reference?
Someone want to point me in right direction

Blue Steel not really any chest lacing as pointed out once...recomended to breed him to a black
106215_sam_1079.jpg

106215_sam_1362.jpg

Thanks for everyoness help on this forum...always in training
wink.png

I'm sure you'll find answers in the Orpington thread, perhaps, or ask some breeders. I'd imagine it is the same as most other blues - Medium shade, good lacing, absence of black splotches or gold/red leakage, etc.

Most people breed blue x black, you get the better and more consistent color that way.

The 1993 standard states that each feather should be slate blue with black edging. There isn't a separate section for the blue color in orpingtons though they are recognized that year. The book simply says to go to the overall which isn't exactly right because the overall says the whole bird needs to be same color, slate edged with black, but on Orps blue doesn't look exactly like that. Their necks and so forth are darker. So get a new one or at least look at a standard that is pretty recent.

In most cases the colour (variety) standard does not vary from one breed to another. If it does, the standard will list the differences for that breed under the breed standard; otherwise the variety standard is listed in the variety section.

Sorry but he is way to light. I would suggest getting a good blue cock and breed him to some black pullets. The boy you got is more a lavender type. But try breeding see what you get it would be interesting.

Quote:
This is very true, but Blue was pretty darn rare in Orps here in the USA in 1993 so I'm guessing they do have something in the variety section now where they didnt' in '93.

Back
Top Bottom