orpington color *blue*

Quote:
This is very true, but Blue was pretty darn rare in Orps here in the USA in 1993 so I'm guessing they do have something in the variety section now where they didnt' in '93.

I do not have the APA standard; I have the Bantam Standard, so I cannot verify if there is anything different for blue in orpingtons than in other breeds, but I would be very surprised if there is. Even silkies, who do not have, or at least do not appear to have lacing do not have a different standard for blue.

pips&peeps :

In the photo he looks kind of like a lavender. Where did you get him? Can you contact the breeder?

He came from poppy creek farm....I thought she only did BBS and some Buffs....I may need to go back to her web site a double check. Maybe give her a call​

Quote:
this boy is leaking ground color, seems like some blue orps do that, but I don´t know if this is a DQ or not.

Are you talking about the brownish color? He free ranged all summer while growing out.... I hear its from the sun??

Quote:
this boy is leaking ground color, seems like some blue orps do that, but I don´t know if this is a DQ or not.

Are you talking about the brownish color?

Yes. this is because he is based on Gold rather than Silver, which the best blues are based on. a bird leaking ground color is not a desired trait in a breeding progect. and this boy does not look lavender at all, some blues can be lighter than others depending on melanizers

Quote:
This is very true, but Blue was pretty darn rare in Orps here in the USA in 1993 so I'm guessing they do have something in the variety section now where they didnt' in '93.

Not sure what the 1993 reference is about. Blue Orpingtons were admitted to the APA Standard in 1923. There is no seperate description for Blue in Orpingtons, blue is blue.
Here's what the 2010 APA Standard says re: Blue Orpington colour: "See description of Blue plumage colour, page 37".

He does look lavender to me because he has no lacing or edging at all that I can see. Maybe it's the photo.

Can you post another picture without so much flash?

So here is a couple more pictures...take with my phone... no flash.....
So because his color bleaches out to goldish from the sun he should not be used for breeding? And because he is so light? I just thought it was the same as how I've seen some whites yellow in the sun?

106215_2011-11-08_16-40-16_588.jpg

106215_2011-11-08_16-36-59_708.jpg

Back
Top Bottom