Orpington Colours which is best?

Tretinker

Songster
May 23, 2022
England
I have four beautiful buff Orpingtons.

I'm going to get hatching eggs because I want an Orp male but I don't understand how the colours work. My option for egg colours are:

Splash
Blue
Black
Gold Laced
Silver Laced
Jubilee

Is anyone able to tell me what colours would be produced with these when X with buffs? I have tried the website but I don't understand all the variables.

Also, will all of these when crossed with barred hens produce sex-linked or auto sexing chicks? (I always get those mixed up).

Thank you for your help as always

Buff x splash - blue chicks with a lot of buff (or possibly silver) leakage
Buff x blue - 50% blue chicks and 50% black chicks with a lot of buff (or possibly silver) leakage
Buff x black - black chicks with a lot of buff (or possibly silver) leakage
Buff x gold laced - results will vary, you could get partial gold lacing or a unique mix of buff and black patterning or possibly just buff with some black flecking
Buff x silver laced - same as above except replace buff/gold with silver
Buff x jubilee - lighter red columbian (similar coloring to a New Hampshire red), they will carry mottling (white spots) but won’t show it in the first generation

Buff x splash - blue chicks with a lot of buff (or possibly silver) leakage
Buff x blue - 50% blue chicks and 50% black chicks with a lot of buff (or possibly silver) leakage
Buff x black - black chicks with a lot of buff (or possibly silver) leakage
Buff x gold laced - results will vary, you could get partial gold lacing or a unique mix of buff and black patterning or possibly just buff with some black flecking
Buff x silver laced - same as above except replace buff/gold with silver
Buff x jubilee - lighter red columbian (similar coloring to a New Hampshire red), they will carry mottling (white spots) but won’t show it in the first generation

Amazing thank you!

This is absolutely outstanding information, I wish I could do the colour genetics, it's fascinating.

Amazing thank you!

This is absolutely outstanding information, I wish I could do the colour genetics, it's fascinating.
Hi Tretinker, how did you get on? I think buff x black gives a different result than black x buff i.e the sex and colour are linked.

Back
Top Bottom