Orpington Experts: Which Cockerel Should I Keep/Use?

I'm going to get pics of cockerel #4 - I am starting to wonder if he isn't actually a better choice over #2. I went looking at pictures of the English Orps and Yeah, #3 is definitely more like an English. My #1 and #2 remind me of Australorps, actually. I did want a blue to put over them, but I don't need to get into another project when I already have enough going on and not enough housing at the moment.

Check back for #4's picture, please. Thanks!
wink.png

Finally! It isn't the best picture, but here is cockerel #4:
82238_orp4.jpg

He is built like Orp #3, but that flat tail and his color annoy me. His blue is so dark you can't see the lacing in normal daylight.
Would he be a better choice than cockerel #2? I am really anxious to see what you guys say about his tail set...

And here is a current picture of Orp #3:
82238_orp3.jpg

Last edited:
How are their temperaments? When you pick them up, which feels more "solid" and meaty around the breast area? any crooked toes? Which comb is neater and has the best number of points? Whch has a bigger head, larger eye and when you look down on it from above, a wider, squarer back? Those are some of the criteria I use when choosing my breeder orp roos. Thanks for sharing the photos. I love looking at other people's birds!
smile.png

After being raised together since hatchlings, #3 and #4 got into one heck of a fight last night or this morning. There is blood on 4 walls and in 3 corners. My girls were splattered with blood and #3 got the worst of it. I had to take him out of the coop. Both boys have ripped wattles and blood covering their hackles and down their backs. So... I am keeping #3 and having the other three processed. #1 and #2 had nothing to do with the fight, but #2 has issues with me being the boss. I am also going to be getting hatching eggs for English Orps this spring, so maybe I will hatch a nice 2nd cockerel. #3 is the biggest, widest, fullest and best tempered of the 4.

If you are wondering, 4 boys to 33 pullets.

Thanks for the help!

Good call. If you need a replacement cockerel this year, for any reason, I am about certain you can get one, even a better one than three, and pretty reasonably, if you put out the call on one of the Orpington threads. I should have a few to choose from, as I am always growing out a replacement, looking to better my flock. Besides, they are just so dang meaty and tasty, I don't mind the orpington cockerels at all. Just hatched out one this past weekend, splash, and he is HEFTY and nearly fills my hand already when I pick him up! Woot! I have a blue one that is about three weeks older, and no doubt will have them scattered along the way as I hatch out and cull various ones this season. So will many others, most likely.

Back
Top Bottom