Orpington limp

vicChickenLover

Chirping
6 Years
Apr 7, 2014
My Buff Orpington Sasha has been limping on and off her entire life. She is almost two years old.
She has never had bumble foot, and it seems to come and go.
When she walks she seems to lift her leg/hip up higher than all my other chooks.
Recently it has become much worse, she still runs and jumps but I can tell she is uncomfortable and she has lost confidence in stairs and ramps.
Any idea whats wrong or how I can help her? Once again, it is definitely not bumble foot.

Is there anything unusual about the foot or leg, such as swelling, green bruising, or redness? Pictures of her standing might be helpful. She might be reinjuring an old injury, but hard to know for sure. I had a chicken who may have had a spiral fracture who limped for a couple of years, but got around well enough to stay with her flock all day, and roost at night. If a vet is available, an xray might rule out a fracture. The important thing is that she be able to reach her food and water. You could try forcing her to rest it for a few days in a dog crate with food and water, but kept near the other chickens.

Back
Top Bottom