Orpington mix w rose comb?

Henora

Songster
Premium Feather Member
Jan 29, 2022
Ontario
20240523_194130.jpg
Hi, this is Raven. I got her as an Orpington but she has this different comb and is a bit smaller than my other Orpingtons. Does she look like any specific breed or does anyone have a suggestion of what kind of mix she is? I have some chicks from her and I want to be accurate when I offer them for sale. Is that a rose comb and will it be visible on hatchlings as different from a single comb?

Thank you for any suggestions!

Yes, that is a rose comb.

Are her legs pink or yellow? If yellow, then she is probably a Black Wyandotte. If not, then she may be part Wyandotte or part Dominique, or depending on where you got her, just a barnyard mix and not a cross of two specific breeds. There may be more possibilities, but I don’t know of many standard sized breeds with rose combs, and I think those are the most likely options.

Dominques and Wyandottes are fairly small compared to Orpingtons (5lbs for Dom hens, 6.5lbs for Wyandotte hens, and 8lbs for Orpington hens), so perhaps that would account for her size difference.

If Raven’s chicks are sired by a black Orpington rooster (or any other single combed rooster), they should also have rose combs like their mother, as they are dominant over single combs.

It can be difficult to tell which comb type a day old chick has, but within a couple days I could see the small bumps of teeth on my chicks with single combs (Marans), and my rose combed chick (Dominique) had a comb that stayed very smooth and flat.

Yes, that is a rose comb.

Are her legs pink or yellow? If yellow, then she is probably a Black Wyandotte. If not, then she may be part Wyandotte or part Dominique, or depending on where you got her, just a barnyard mix and not a cross of two specific breeds. There may be more possibilities, but I don’t know of many standard sized breeds with rose combs, and I think those are the most likely options.

Dominques and Wyandottes are fairly small compared to Orpingtons (5lbs for Dom hens, 6.5lbs for Wyandotte hens, and 8lbs for Orpington hens), so perhaps that would account for her size difference.

If Raven’s chicks are sired by a black Orpington rooster (or any other single combed rooster), they should also have rose combs like their mother, as they are dominant over single combs.

It can be difficult to tell which comb type a day old chick has, but within a couple days I could see the small bumps of teeth on my chicks with single combs (Marans), and my rose combed chick (Dominique) had a comb that stayed very smooth and flat.
Thank you for your reply, her legs are grayish. I'll look into Wyandottes and Dominiques. I would really like to have a bunch of Orpingtons with rose combs bc it gets really cold here in Ontario and frostbite is a concern.

Back
Top Bottom