Orpington or Mixed Breed?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by bellmare, Jun 26, 2016.

1. bellmare

bellmare Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 20, 2013
    Las Vegas
    [​IMG]
    I bought hatching eggs from a breeder in Alabama who was amazing and helpful. I bought only Cochins but I had a chick hatch who was a mystery - she was definitely not a Cochin.

The breeder is aware and has been so sweet and helpful. I believe her when she says this is an Orpington but I am being repeatedly told this is NOT an Orpington so I think I need more opinions.

She raises Campines, Orpingtons, CCLs, Cochins, Seramas, EEs, Speckled Sussex and Silkies. This has to be one of those, or a mix. It is not a Bantam, she is 11 weeks old and the same size as my other LF pullets.

I've never seen this coloring in an Orpington but she says it's probably a result from a chocolate rooster and a black hen.

Last edited: Jun 26, 2016
  2. gamebirdsonly

gamebirdsonly Overrun With Chickens

Mar 5, 2007
    UTAH
    it looks like a mix.

3. JaeG

JaeG Overrun With Chickens

Sep 29, 2014
    New Zealand
    You get black laced golds crossing a buff orpington with a black, blue or lavender orpington so it could well be the result of a black and chocolate orpington mix. Was she a dark brown chick? She's got the right coloured legs for that parentage.

4. bellmare

Oct 20, 2013
    Las Vegas
    She was an all black chick with one small orange dot on the back of her head. I may have gotten a picture of it, I will check. [​IMG]

5. junebuggena

junebuggena Chicken Obsessed

Apr 17, 2015
    Long Beach, WA
    It's a mixed breed.

6. bellmare

Oct 20, 2013
    Las Vegas
    Out of the breeds that she raises, what would be the mix? The only thing I could think of is Orpington x Campine but she's really thick bodied unlike a Campine so I don't know if that's accurate.

She raises Campines, Orpingtons, CCLs, Cochins, Seramas, EEs, Speckled Sussex and Silkies.

7. junebuggena

junebuggena Chicken Obsessed

Apr 17, 2015
    Long Beach, WA
    Easter Egger mix.

8. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    agree

9. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    Well, she's not Silkie, Serama, Cochin, Campine or Legbar, you can rule those out right off.

That leaves Orp, EE and SS. Orps and SS both have white skin and straight combs. They're also rounded, fluffy birds. She could be either one mixed with EE, or she could have two EE parents. I guess you'll know for sure when she starts laying.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by