Orpington pros opinions please

Is that an Airedale looking at your birds? How does your dog behave w/ your chicks?

Thanks for the continued thoughts! I hope they're girls
smile.png

The dog is Maggie, my Airedale. She was raised with 'prey' type animals around (ferrets, budgies) and has been very good with my chickens (supervised introduction). If one of them takes to the air she can't help but run along with her, but she won't do more than try and take a piece a bread I've thrown the chickens. Nice too, because I know she'll keep an eye out for predators.

Actually, before I rehomed the roosters, one attacked me. I took off after him. Maggie came running. She got ahead of the rooster and cut him off, allowing me to make a grab. We did this about 3 times before I got ahold of him. It was her day to shine! She was never trained to herd, she never got aggressive and was a great help
smile.png

Those are all girls. My 12 week old BO rooster is showing his colors now, and he's got a most definite male comb and stance. I'll try to get a picture of him tonight when I let them all out. His male colors are gorgeous!

Back
Top Bottom