orpington Question

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by jack bache, Dec 30, 2011.

1. jack bache

jack bache Out Of The Brooder

Dec 4, 2011
    hay i have been breeding chickens for a long time now. And i was wondering is orpingtons are a popular breed because i told some people that i know i was getting some orpingtons and i got given $450 in total from them people. [​IMG] [​IMG] i was wondering are they rare or what????? [​IMG]

2. sonew123

sonew123 Poultry Snuggie

Mar 16, 2009
    onchiota NY
    Quote:What? Is this serious? What types did you have?

3. justuschickens59

justuschickens59 VA Royal Blues

Apr 2, 2009
    Virginia
    Quote:Are you trying to purchase some Orps and the price is $450? If so, they are probably Imports. There are a small few of us that have imported Orpingtons from the UK and the prices are higher than the regular American Orps.

Here is a thread on Imported Orpingtons if you are interested.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=386051

Last edited: Dec 30, 2011
  4. jack bache

jack bache Out Of The Brooder

Dec 4, 2011
    thanks

5. HallFamilyFarm

HallFamilyFarm APA ETL#195

Jan 25, 2010
    Monticello, Arkansas
    You should be able to get Exhibition Quality Orpingtons at a better price than that. Many of the importers of the English type are charging high prices to recoup their investment. You should expect to pay about $100 to $150 for a good trio of American SOP type Orpingtons.

6. galanie

galanie Treat Dispenser No More

Aug 20, 2010
    Colmesneil,TX
    Just so you know, most people never saw anything but a Buff Orpington. In some places getting any other color is difficult. So they aren't what I'd call rare, but good ones can be pretty hard to come by sometimes.

7. aoxa

aoxa Overrun With Chickens

Wow.. We don't sell exhibition chickens around here that are that price. The most I ever paid for one was $20.00. I have never bought from a hatchery, all breeders. My BUFF Orpington is SQ and I only paid $15 for her.
    [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  8. sonew123

sonew123 Poultry Snuggie

Mar 16, 2009
    onchiota NY

Im sorry I didn't realize you were in another country...it makes sense now with the $ they are offering you for them..

9. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA

Im sorry I didn't realize you were in another country...it makes sense now with the $ they are offering you for them..

That makes sense.

Other countries have a lot of rare colored Orps that are $$ because they're such rare colors, but the colors are getting less and less rare each year. Such includes Crele, Jubilee, Mottled, Gold Laced, Chocolate, and good quality Lavender.

10. justuschickens59

justuschickens59 VA Royal Blues

Apr 2, 2009
    Virginia
    Quote:So tell us what kind of Orpingtons you have.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by