Orpington Thread

So my chicks had a roost in their brooder that they used, and when they were 8wks old I moved them into an expen in the coop that had a perch as well. Now that they are 10wks old and mingling with the big girls, they don't use the roosts in the coop. Instead they have been clumping in a corner on the floor, so every night I go in and set them on the roosts.
After a week of doing this only about 3 of the 11 have caught on. Do I just keep at it til they all get it? They used the roosts in the brooder and expen.

There just adjusting to their new location to take a while. It's a pretty common concern (little chickens not roosting) it is not a problem they will get the hang of it

Thanks for the quick reply!

I was just worried because they are so darn fluffy and with 8 of them piled on top of each other, some are are getting a bit poopy feathered.
At least the coop is big enough that they can sleep on the other side and not be near the roosts and get bombed from above! lol

I just needed to be patient; coop check & headcount tonight showed 10 of 11 roosting :)
I knew Orps were docile and sweet, but I was getting worried I had to add "bless their hearts" after mentioning them, but you were right Hennible, they figured it out! ;)

one of the first things my chicks did was jump on the roosts when I put them in there, you could have blown me over in surprise lol I figured they would be off the roosts for a couple days until they ajusted but nope....... just goes to show you, even when you think what they are gonna do is what they usualy do they turn around and surprise ya

one of the first things my chicks did was jump on the roosts when I put them in there, you could have blown me over in surprise lol I figured they would be off the roosts for a couple days until they ajusted but nope....... just goes to show you, even when you think what they are gonna do is what they usualy do they turn around and surprise ya

These Orps have me in stitches most of the time! Such sweet silly birds. I went out to find my tiny runt Olive hanging off my male Bullmastiff's muzzle--she grabbed him and wouldn't let go and my poor dog was looking terrified at me like "What IS this lil monstrous thing?!" Both Olive and Camilla love terrorizing my dogs.

As of last night, all 11 were roosting with the big girls and it was adorbs! I'll try to get a pic tonight.

These Orps have me in stitches most of the time! Such sweet silly birds. I went out to find my tiny runt Olive hanging off my male Bullmastiff's muzzle--she grabbed him and wouldn't let go and my poor dog was looking terrified at me like "What IS this lil monstrous thing?!" Both Olive and Camilla love terrorizing my dogs.

As of last night, all 11 were roosting with the big girls and it was adorbs! I'll try to get a pic tonight.

That's hilarious. My Mastiff is scared stiff of the chickens, too. They make noises! They peck! He gives me the "Why, momma? Why?" face whenever they're around.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom