Orpington Thread

Hi finally I can join I have wanted a buff orp for ages but no one ever had one
I have other chickens light Sussex's and a common brown hen but now I have a buff orp yay
1f603.png
1f604.png
1f600.png
1f60a.png
1f606.png

She is called jazzabelle, jazzie for short and is still shy does anyone have any tips to get her tame or tamer.
It won't let me post pics not sure why :(

Does anyone know how much layer feed a 4kg Orpington eats in a day ?
I know a 1.35kg layer breed eats 1.1kg of layer feed in a week.
Anyone ?
frow.gif

I was wondering if I could see some of your guys ideas on the ideal typed Orpington birds baced on the standard of perfection. Any color I am looking to learn any color please post some pics so I kinda learn what to breed for.

I have 2 approximately16-week-old buffs in may flock, but neither are very friendly to humans when they try to pick them up or try to pet them. We would hold them when they were little and they were so docile at that time. Would trying to hold them more now get them used to held, or would it make them hate me more?
hu.gif

My buff orp does not seem to be getting any tamer I got her at 14 weeks and we are now on week 17 any tips/advise
Taming is best done during the first two months. The earlier the better. Teaching an older chicken new tricks is very difficult. Some people say that after a year you cannot even change their coop/henhouse with much success because they have trouble learning to navigate new designs after that age.

Always pick each one up and sit with them in your lap for five minutes per day per chick if you plan to have them behave like tame chickens and hunker down to easily be picked up later.

Can anybody please advise if there's a type of Orpington that has the chipmunk pattern on hatching?

Back
Top Bottom