Orpington Thread

Hello! I am thinking about getting orpington has I have hear they are good with kids, and egg production. Does anyone know how they are with cold weather? We live in the northeast, and have some rough winters at times!Thanks
I can't speak from experience as I am now raising our 1st flock, but I'm in the part of the northwest with pretty harsh winters & chose 4 orpingtons in our mixed flock for what I've read about their cold hardiness & being so affectionate & great with kids. I have seen tons of pics of kids holding orpingtons online. We have 3 at 8 weeks old, & 1 at 3 weeks old, and so far they are just as sweet & affectionate as can be.

Last edited:
I'm not sure if this is the best place to ask my question, but I'll try it. How fast do Orpington's usually grow? For some reason, in my mind, I always imagined that they grew pretty fast. But my one chick that I believe is an Orpington has consistently been one of my smallest chicks.
In our chicks, hatch date 4/7/2014, I ordered 1 Blue Orp, now named Sephira (paid a pretty penny for her too, I might add), but she has turned out to be black with a green sheen. No matter. She is absolutely beautiful, IMO. As for her growth, she was one of the smaller chicks until around 7-8 weeks and then she just seemed to grow and grow and is now the largest hen in the chicken yard. As for her disposition, she was always terrified of us but has mellowed somewhat. She will let me hold her without any fuss....if I can catch her. BUT she is next to the last on the bottom of the pecking order which seems strange to me since we have 4 regular size chickens and 4 bantam chickens. She lets the Mottled Cochin bantam boss her around and she is terrified of our Buff Brahma bantam and she is twice their size and still maturing. Funny to watch considering their size differences. She is one of my favorites in the coop though. She 'talks' to me and I listen intently. Our bottom of the order is a Sultan (our 'mystery chick') who could care less about anything anyway. LOL I have sometimes wondered if I got the Blue Orp I paid for or if she was substituted with another breed. We wondered about that with a couple of them but the others turned out just as they should have. She is the only exception and the chance we took with her breed as a Blue Orp. She has not begun to lay yet as of this writing while a few of the others have begun squatting when petted. Eggs are coming soon! Yippee!

In the brooder, at approximately 5 weeks old, I have 2 Buff Orps along with a Black Sex Link (super friendly at 5 weeks old), a Barred Rock, Blue Silkie bantam, a Splash Silkie, and 4 guineas (1 grey and 3 white). I hope the Buff Orps get as large as Sephira.

In our chicks, hatch date 4/7/2014, I ordered 1 Blue Orp, now named Sephira (paid a pretty penny for her too, I might add), but she has turned out to be black with a green sheen.  No matter.  She is absolutely beautiful, IMO.  As for her growth, she was one of the smaller chicks until around 7-8 weeks and then she just seemed to grow and grow and is now the largest hen in the chicken yard.  As for her disposition, she was always terrified of us but has mellowed somewhat.  She will let me hold her without any fuss....if I can catch her.  BUT she is next to the last on the bottom of the pecking order which seems strange to me since we have 4 regular size chickens and 4 bantam chickens.  She lets the Mottled Cochin bantam boss her around and she is terrified of our Buff Brahma bantam and she is twice their size and still maturing.  Funny to watch considering their size differences.  She is one of my favorites in the coop though.  She 'talks' to me and I listen intently.  Our bottom of the order is a Sultan (our 'mystery chick') who could care less about anything anyway.  LOL  I have sometimes wondered if I got the Blue Orp I paid for or if she was substituted with another breed.  We wondered about that with a couple of them but the others turned out just as they should have.  She is the only exception and the chance we took with her breed as a Blue Orp.  She has not begun to lay yet as of this writing while a few of the others have begun squatting when petted.  Eggs are coming soon!  Yippee!

In the brooder, at approximately 5 weeks old,  I have 2 Buff Orps along with a Black Sex Link (super friendly at 5 weeks old), a Barred Rock, Blue Silkie bantam, a Splash Silkie, and 4 guineas (1 grey and 3 white).   I hope the Buff Orps get as large as Sephira.
when i ordered our blue orpington the hatchery website said that blue is an unstable gene so i may recieve a blue, a black, or a splash. I was really hoping for splash, Lol! But she is now a beautiful blue at 8 weeks old, so i paid the same pretty penny to get her a little black sister. If i remember correctly the chances of your blue turning out black are 25%. I can't wait til our black gets the green colored sheen ~ right now she's an icky mess of pin feathers & tired old baby fluff, LOL.

I know what you mean. I read the instructions & they say it's something you work up to with daily adjustments until it's just right. I hope you find them a great home if the collar isn't a viable option for him.

my 75 percent english orps all from same hatch except one roo are almost 6 months old... Shy of a week... Still now signs of laying? Combs brighter I think but not submitting to my Roos... Roos from same hatch ready they are not? Any ideas how long it can take till I see my first egg?

Back
Top Bottom