Orpington Thread

Ok so... My hens started laying or one did? Not sure two in one day and I'm only getting an egg about every 4 days??? I put up lights a few days ago to try and help weather not been too cold pretty nice 70s 40-50 at night they have plenty of box options... I also
Pulled back scratch and started wetting down pellets and mix little scratch in to entice them I noticed they were dumping pellets and picking out scratch and spent all day hunting scratch and not eating good food? Anyway my question is how often do most orps lay? I can't imagine one every 4 days is right?

Just thought I'd introduce myself and say hello!
This past Spring I got my first ever chickens--4 chicks from the feedstore. I quickly fell in love and started doing more breed research and became smitten with the English Orpington.
There are currently 11 brooding in my living room and they are now almost 3wks! There are 3 Jubilee, 3 Lavender, 3 Black, 2 Chocolate from Papas Poultry in CA.

They are the sweetest lil fluff nuggets!

I quickly fell in love and started doing more breed research and became smitten with the English Orpington.
There are currently 11 brooding in my living room and they are now almost 3wks! There are 3 Jubilee, 3 Lavender, 3 Black, 2 Chocolate from Papas Poultry in CA.

Sweet! I have 13 BBS Orps from him in my brooder. Can't wait to see how they turn out.

Sweet! I have 13 BBS Orps from him in my brooder. Can't wait to see how they turn out.

Awesome! I was so impressed with Jeff on so many levels; lineage info, health, support, and his customer service was outstanding. Not to mention these chicks arrived safe and healthy and are doing great!

How old are yours??? Do you have pics? Mine will be 3wks on the 4th. I hope to add Blues eventually. My blacks are split to chocolate.

Awesome! I was so impressed with Jeff on so many levels; lineage info, health, support, and his customer service was outstanding. Not to mention these chicks arrived safe and healthy and are doing great!

How old are yours??? Do you have pics? Mine will be 3wks on the 4th. I hope to add Blues eventually. My blacks are split to chocolate.

They're 2-4 weeks old (I have a range of ages; shipment was 1 week olds and 1 day olds mixed, then the next week he brought me a couple more newly hatched blues). So the bulk of mine are from the same hatch as yours (Oct 14th). I have 5 splash, 7 blue, and 1 black (I thought I had three but two them have shifted to blue as they've gown). I have my *fingers crossed* that the lone black is a hen, but given how slowly it's feathering in, I'm guessing cockerel.

Last edited:
They're 2-4 weeks old (I have a range of ages; shipment was 1 week olds and 1 day olds mixed, then the next week he brought me a couple more newly hatched blues). So the bulk of mine are from the same hatch as yours (Oct 14th). I have 5 splash, 7 blue, and 1 black (I thought I had three but two them have shifted to blue as they've gown). I have my *fingers crossed* that the lone black is a hen, but given how slowly it's feathering in, I'm guessing cockerel.
Oh! So we've got chicken sisters! lol
They are so adorable! <3

I just switched their brooder bedding to sand. It's a bit late, but i had trouble finding DRY bags of sand here in the Seattle area. They are making a huge mess dust bathing and flinging it all over the "formal" living room! :D
In a week or two, I'm gonna have to get a refrigerator box set up as their brooder--these chicks seem so much bigger at 3wks than my previous set of (feedstore) chicks.

Back
Top Bottom