Orpington Thread

I bought my four Lavender Orpingtons from a local man, how do I know if the Orpingtons I have are English or not? I have tried to contact him multiple times but he hasn't responded.

I bought my four Lavender Orpingtons from a local man, how do I know if the Orpingtons I have are English or not? I have tried to contact him multiple times but he hasn't responded.

Look at the SOP and see which they conform more closely to (short cut: super fluffy with tails at a 45 degree angle indicates recent English import lines; less fluffy, with a straighter back is American lines).

American-style (from My Pet Chicken):

English-style (from Heirloom Orptingtons):

Edited to add: if they're the ones in your avatar, I would say you have American SOP lavender Orps.

Last edited:
would age have a factor in that if they are younger or older?

Do you mean would age affect whether they looked American SOP or English SOP? Up to a point, yes. But I think it would become evident fairly quickly.

For example, these are 15 week old birds. They're clearly English. The feathering and general shape is just very distinct.

That could be since they are older now and have started laying eggs. I will try to post a updated pic of them. They are about 10 weeks younger than my older 7 hens, and they are bigger than my older hens now.

Back
Top Bottom