Orpington Thread

How can I get in contact with a good true Orpington breeder in Tennessee.. I'm sure there are some people on this forum? I'm looking for laying hens only but want the true Orpington blood from a credible source, not a mutt from a hatchery.. I'm not going to be showing them just using them for eggs and maybe breeding in a couple of years to potentially sell..  Not wanting to make any money just wanting to preserve a good breed.. I'm also interested in Barred Rocks and Ameraucana's..

Please email me if you know of trustworthy breeders in west or middle Tennessee that wouldn't take advantage of a newbie.

Thanks,
CP

Are you looking for American or English? If American, my buddy in Loudon has beautiful Lavenders. You can find him on Facebook at Barn Hen Farms.

Are you looking for American or English? If American, my buddy in Loudon has beautiful Lavenders. You can find him on Facebook at Barn Hen Farms.

I'm not too familiar with the differences. Is it mainly cosmetic or is it a personality difference? I originally read up on the English Orpington and that's what made me want Orpingtons.. I'm mainly looking for good layers (won't be used for meat) that are docile and not crazy broody. I know that what I read mainly said they are great mothers but I didn't know if that was directly in line with broodiness or not. Being a mother means the baby/chick has to be born/hatched first so I wasn't sure if a "good mother" automatically equaled broody..

I'm not too familiar with the differences. Is it mainly cosmetic or is it a personality difference? I originally read up on the English Orpington and that's what made me want Orpingtons.. I'm mainly looking for good layers (won't be used for meat) that are docile and not crazy broody. I know that what I read mainly said they are great mothers but I didn't know if that was directly in line with broodiness or not. Being a mother means the baby/chick has to be born/hatched first so I wasn't sure if a "good mother" automatically equaled broody..
I'm really not either, but there is a difference. I have American, not English, and they are WAY less poofy than English. English are like feathered soccer balls. Some people think they should be two totally different breeds, but I'm not too keen on that. Maybe some other members will give you some answers?

Quote:
An American style bird that meets the SOP isn't all that different from and English style bird* (English are a little bigger with a more Cochin-like fluffiness), but the vast majority of American style birds are hatchery stock, and they're nowhere near the SOP. So it's not so much that a lot of us think that American and English are two different breeds as we think SOP birds and hatchery stock are.

*If you really want to see this in action, take a look at @thedragonlady 's buffs. She has both American SOP birds and English birds and they are VERY similar. But they look NOTHING like hatchery buff Orps.

Last edited:
I have a question on Lemon Cuckoo Orpingtons (hope I got that right). Are they supposed to be a deep lemon yellow or more of a pale lemon color? Barred or cuckoo - are they 2 different colorings?

Hello all!
I'm usually over at the ducks section but I have a 4 week old very possibly male Buff Orp that needs a home. He was brought back to the feed store when it was determined there's a good chance he's a he. I'm in the Sacramento, CA area if anyone is interested he is very pretty, sweet and handled daily. I just want him to go to a great home so no charge. I can take a photo of him tomorrow and post it when I get back to the feed store.
Thank you!

P.S. I'd consider a trade of a bantam or serama chick if you're looking to cut back one for one!

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom