Orpington Thread

Just curious. Would you cull or cultivate? This is one of the Silver Laced Orps I've bred and it's obviously not silver laced but it is "almost" double laced. I think I'm gonna wait until she's older and then decide wether to breed her depending on her looks then.

Are all orpingtons the same no matter the color? Temperament? size? And egg laying? Also cold hardy? I love what I've read about the buff orpington being quiet and like lap dogs. I need my pets to love me lol plus I'd like a lot of eggs. I want a pretty mix of chickens but maybe I'll just get one of each color instead of different breeds.

Just curious. Would you cull or cultivate? This is one of the Silver Laced Orps I've bred and it's obviously not silver laced but it is "almost" double laced. I think I'm gonna wait until she's older and then decide wether to breed her depending on her looks then.

What did you decide? Very pretty feathering--I would love to see a picture of her now that shows all of her!

Sorry, by looking at these photos...the chickens do not appear to be 100% True Silver Laced Orpingtons......I would hope you would not be selling them as 100% True Silver Laced Orpingtons. It takes knowledgeable people to breed and raise a quality Silver Lace Orpington. I hope this answers your question. There are no short cuts in breeding quality animals.
Sincerely, Autumn Farm English Orpingtons....

Hi. Wondered if anyone could help. Have a lovely young
Orpington cockerel, he is blue or black but has some red markings,can I still show him? New to showing but the children want to give it a go. Thanks. Maybe he is gold laced???

Strange as it may seem, but when given away Silver Laced Orpington that was not 100% Silver Laced but actually mixed with a Barred Rock and that should not be used as a breeding quality animal. How this person will turn around and breed this animal knowing well that it was sold as a pet quality and never as a breeding quality and then ask questions how to improve on this quality. I've given some of these Silver Laced as pets and these people turn around and say how they will only keep them as pets, and only to find out they have sold them as breeding quality stock, not just locally but around the states. Shame on me for believing on what is being told to me, really sad how some people take advantage of not improving on the quality of the animal but rather put their effort into what value they can consume at the time...what goes around eventually comes around. Hope they learn from their mistakes!

Here is my orpington rooster. He's sweet and beautiful 5 months old now. I'm not sure but I think he is lemon cuckoo. Doesn't really matter he's awesome but it would be great to have insight from knowledgeable people. I have a very light colored huge female I call snow really light yellow and white barred. And a beautiful buff with black lace around her neck. Her name is mystique . I will try and get pics of my females tomorrow. I also have 4 litles who are buffs and only 2 months old. Is there a difference in temperament? They are all sweet but my baby buffs are extra and they purr at night. It's the cutest thing. They also don't like to roost at night. I love them all.

Last edited:

This is my 16 wk old bantam chocolate orpington Hershey

She is camera shy

When she was young she watched to much road runners :p

She loves hanging out with "her roo" Jelly bean
We only found out this morning that jelly bean was a rooster.

Back
Top Bottom