Orpington Thread

Well, BUS is handsome. And I don't see what is wrong with your girls, but I am a beginner.
As a beginner, I have a beginner type question -when do the pullets start getting pink wattles, combs and around the eyes? I know combs don't turn red till point of lay, but 4 out of 5 of my BBS Orp girls have slatey colored combs, faces and wattles, like their legs. They are 3 and 4 months old.

Last edited:
Quote:
I think it would be wonderful. I'm a flower hybridizer and I know that I'm always looking for the next cross... I know animals are different, but if YOU think it would be a good cross, try it.

We always try to combine the best qualities of each...

Quote:
Their prolly too young to say yet. I don't even like looking at mine till their 7 mo's old. Even then some I was told to cull are keepers now.
I have just 3 Black and Blue pens. BUS's pen is for the BUS to do what he likes. His girls would be, to some, their better quality. But I only use 11 girls. These are number 12. 13. & 14. For various reasons, they need something. On one black girl, I like her body but not the tail. All three girls are perfectly low, which is good cause BUS is a bit leggy. I have a few of their babies. I wouldn't want to stop now after seeing what their making. Again it is way too early to tell. And a good male only reproduces well for a few good years. So, it is poop or get off the can with BUS. And I like him and what he has made. So we're poopin along with him and his misfit rejects.

Quote:
I like my broodies too. I have 3 Black hens tryin to stuff themselves into one nest box. I am for sure going to have something from all that motherly effort. lolol
IF your in the Indy area and need cockerel let me know.

Last edited:
TONKA's kids

000_6697.jpg

000_6696.jpg

Kellog's CLARK

000_6700.jpg

388722446.jpg

Last edited:
I have 3 black girls that go broody quite a bit. I put them in the broody cage with food and water for about 2 days and it breaks them entirely. You might want to give it a shot. It works perfectly on my broody ladies. Good luck !!

Quote:
I do a similar way to break a broody. I have these 8' by 8' pens that I use for breeding and raising chicks. Their perfect. Cause there is no nest box. The girls lay on the ground, and seem to never want to get broody on them since I move these pens every other day if not daily.

384712207.jpg

Back
Top Bottom