Orpington Thread

Quote:
I do a similar way to break a broody. I have these 8' by 8' pens that I use for breeding and raising chicks. Their perfect. Cause there is no nest box. The girls lay on the ground, and seem to never want to get broody on them since I move these pens every other day if not daily.

http://pic50.picturetrail.com/VOL427/739981/20593830/384712207.jpg

I love that pen! I tried to build something similar, but apparantly I underestimated how short 4 feet was
lau.gif
gig.gif
Ah well. I'll use the current pen until I get the new one built, and then use this one for the pigs as their shelter
cool.png

Very nice pics everyone! I love those birds!

Quote:
I do a similar way to break a broody. I have these 8' by 8' pens that I use for breeding and raising chicks. Their perfect. Cause there is no nest box. The girls lay on the ground, and seem to never want to get broody on them since I move these pens every other day if not daily.

http://pic50.picturetrail.com/VOL427/739981/20593830/384712207.jpg

I love that pen! I tried to build something similar, but apparantly I underestimated how short 4 feet was
lau.gif
gig.gif
Ah well. I'll use the current pen until I get the new one built, and then use this one for the pigs as their shelter
cool.png

Very nice pics everyone! I love those birds!

You can easily get 5' live stock fencing and make them 5 feet high instaed. I am a short cheapskate. And am gettin shorter.

I love this thread! All the chickens are beautiful. I am new to all of this, and can't have a rooster, but the roos pictured here are gorgeous. Wish I could have one... I got chickens because I love pets in general, birds(outside that is), and we love eggs, and I have lots of bugs around here, and it just seemed like fun. I originally had 2 buff orpingtons, but one died within 12 hours of arriving. The other one we have, Sunny Sunshine, is so beautiful and sweet, really good with my 7 yr old son who LOVES her. Wish I had more! I do have 4 australorps too. I could swear we mostly see Sunny's butt, she is always hunkered over searching for something yummy. I think it's great that some of you are experimenting with colors and variations, after all, a lot of us have chickens just because they're so pretty!

I agree that it is nice to share pics with folks who like the breed.
I feel very welcome on this thread to show my newest entries into the Orp world. And I can say Lavender here too. lolololol
000_6754.jpg

000_6753.jpg

000_6751.jpg

000_6749.jpg

000_6748.jpg

000_6747.jpg

I just have 9 hens. They are so spoiled. I've held them and hand fed them since they were day-olds and they think I'm their Mama. Today they had to spend in their house so they're probably mad, (it rained all day) but when I let them out tomorrow, they'll be so happy.
They don't have a yard. We just open the door and let them run.
smile.png

My broodys have been broken finally by locking the hen house and only letting them in at dark. ( used to leave the door open and the broodies would just stay in there.) I had to start tossing them out, and taking the water out and shutting the door.

Last edited:
so the Broody's aren't really broke...they're broke for that day and the next....

Anyway this past weekend I went to the Ohio State Fair ( the Greatest in the Land) and all I saw was a bunch of ugly Orpingtons. (apologies to you if they were your chickens.) But I'm telling you, they were nothing to be proud about and certainly nothing I'd bother to take to a fair.

That's what I saw and that's my opinion.
L

Last edited:
I'm just curious, Am I the only one who owns a white orpington? I don't think I've seen any pics, in either thread, of white orps! Of course, now I can't really say I own one since our white orp went missing two days ago
hit.gif
*sigh* she was one of our orignal 11!

Quote:
Well I had white orps, started with over a dozen eggs and ended up hatching only two. Luckily with was a pair. Last winter the roo accidentally killed the hen (pushed her head in the mud trying to breed). So I gave the rooster to a neighbor. He is looking for a new home if anyone is interested!
smile.png

ps-sorry to hear you're missing one.
sad.png

49849_dsc02807.jpg

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom