Orpington vs Sussex

I had ordered 6 Orps from a local hatchery. After reading this and finding out they couldn't increase my pre-order to 12 orps to arrive on the 15th of April; I added 6 Speckled Sussex to go with my 6 Buff Orp preorder. I had originally wanted to go with just the one breed (mostly cause I think the buff orp pics I saw were prettier) but to make sure I didn't get the one off temperment bird in the hatching.

I got the BO and Australorp out of sheer curiosity really, and am considering re-homing them and going straight sussex as well. My kids are trying to convince me not to since the BO and the Australrop are the only two that have names since the others all look alike. LOL! I may have to overrule the kids, however. I really love the sussex. I'm pretty sure I am going to specialize in them. Am hoping to get other sussex varieties when possible.

Interesting observation of the several kinds in the brooder! My SS are now about 3-4 days old, I'll guess, and are scratching professionally, preening, wiping beaks etc so well, we thought we'd give them a "foraging test" . . . and you should've seen them going berserk over the little wigglers we pulled out of the compost pile!
Happiest I've EVER been with chicks!

you are more th an welcome to come see our orps in person when ever not sure how far you are from greensburro tho.... well were actually coser too burrlington

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom