Orpingtons - hens or rooster?

kerriery

Chirping
6 Years
Jul 5, 2015
I have 3 orpingtons that are 13 weeks old now, we hatched them from eggs from a friends flock.

One has a slightly larger comb and wattles which made me think she was a rooster (especially as her feathers are solid while the other 2 are laced) but they're all still exactly the same size, and I would have expected to see some size difference by now? Also although her comb is redder than the others i don't think its enough for a 13 week old rooster?

Dad was black orpington and mum was buff.

What do you think? I've circled the possible rooster with my amazing tech skills.

Doesn't really matter either way, I'm just curious and I love these threads!

Attachments

• IMG_4104.jpg
    IMG_4104.jpg
    146.4 KB · Views: 35
  • IMG_4243.PNG
    IMG_4243.PNG
    1.3 MB · Views: 28
  • IMG_4108.PNG
    IMG_4108.PNG
    1.4 MB · Views: 29
  • IMG_4242.PNG
    IMG_4242.PNG
    1.3 MB · Views: 24
I have 3 orpingtons that are 13 weeks old now, we hatched them from eggs from a friends flock.

One has a slightly larger comb and wattles which made me think she was a rooster (especially as her feathers are solid while the other 2 are laced) but they're all still exactly the same size, and I would have expected to see some size difference by now? Also although her comb is redder than the others i don't think its enough for a 13 week old rooster?

Dad was black orpington and mum was buff.

What do you think? I've circled the possible rooster with my amazing tech skills.

Doesn't really matter either way, I'm just curious and I love these threads!
I agree with your assessments! What lovely birds you have.🥰

Back
Top Bottom