Orpingtons Only Club

She's cute. Her speckles are coming in strong.
I need better pictures (duh, yeah). I read that cockerel Jubilees tend to have more white on the chest. I really hope this is a pullet; I purchased her as such. The tail seems more "upright" than the two other pullets I bought, but they are a different breed, so, apples and oranges.

At two weeks, I had a "gut clench" suspicion that she might be a he, The comb and wattles seemed to be bigger than the other two. My experience with Orps last year was 3 for 3 cockerels, but I bought straight run, thinking 1 in 8 chance they'd all be boys. Little did I know that "straight run" meant "we're not 90% sure it's a pullet."

My roo is kind of a butt head. He's not my buddy, never has been. When I go into the run, I take a big stick so I can push him out of the way if I need to. I tried the holding him down technique, and that only worked for a couple days.

I need better pictures (duh, yeah). I read that cockerel Jubilees tend to have more white on the chest. I really hope this is a pullet; I purchased her as such. The tail seems more "upright" than the two other pullets I bought, but they are a different breed, so, apples and oranges.

At two weeks, I had a "gut clench" suspicion that she might be a he, The comb and wattles seemed to be bigger than the other two. My experience with Orps last year was 3 for 3 cockerels, but I bought straight run, thinking 1 in 8 chance they'd all be boys. Little did I know that "straight run" meant "we're not 90% sure it's a pullet."

My roo is kind of a butt head. He's not my buddy, never has been. When I go into the run, I take a big stick so I can push him out of the way if I need to. I tried the holding him down technique, and that only worked for a couple days.
I noticed that Jubilee Cockerels tend to have more black in the breast feathers.

A straight run of 6 RIRs we got many years ago. 4 cockerels, & 2 pullets.

My Sumatra, he will occasionally Kick me up my legs when he decides to be a jerk. When he does this, I hold him like a football for a minute, then chase him off.
We're usually good for about a week, or two before he does it again.

If I had your Orpington rooster, he'd be a gentleman, I make sure everyone is treated equally with respect.

Here's my Best looking Buff Orpington hen. She's a keeper.
20210927_142808.jpg
20210927_142811.jpg
20210927_142924.jpg

She seems to fit the SOP quite well for a Hatchery Orpington, but she does have a couple minor flaws. She does have some black specks in her tail, plus her tail angle is abit high.
Screenshot_20210522-192556_Chrome.jpg
She wasn't happy I took her away from the flock, put her in a pen, & took pictures.

Her color is more Golden then what she appears on my phone camera. I just need better lighting to capture that.

My rooster, Darl, lost his tail feathers a few weeks ago, and looks a little silly. (He looked sillier when he only had one sickle feather though!)

Widget, my Jubilee Orpington, is the first of my June chicks to get any kind of color in her comb and wattles, but they're still small. They're 16 weeks as of last Saturday, so I'm confident that they're pullets now. Whew.

Back
Top Bottom