Orps and curled toes

TheKidAndDame

Songster
12 Years
Aug 11, 2007
Gator Nation, FL
I have seen a few posts on here about orps being born with or developing crooked toes. I recently hatched out a bantam orp with the same issue. I did as other members have done and splinted the foot. I also prophylactically splinted the unaffected foot. I have given vitamins as well. So far he/she seems to be a happy little mover and shaker. My question is whether this is a physical issue related to space restriction in the egg or if orps have a genetic predisposition for this defect? Any insight would be greatly appreciated.

Most times it is environmental. IE incubator temps, chicks getting chilled when young. But sometimes it just happens.... so it has made me belive it could partly be genetic.

My gut reaction that it was due to chick size. Now, I do not have much experience with bantams but I was expecting the little guy to be smaller. The egg was appropriately sized but the chick is not much smaller than the standards I hatched. That plus the fact that it was only one foot makes me lean towards environmental causes. Well, I guess I will just have to wait and see if they straighten out.

Back
Top Bottom