OSB (Oriented Strand Board) question.....

fledgling

Songster
10 Years
Apr 8, 2009
Keystone Heights, FL
Has anyone used this instead of plywood down here in the southeast? We are planning on painting it but not sure if it will hold up in the rain and humidity down here. Our floor is regular plywood, but we were looking at using OSB on the sides to save money. Otherwise, we will have to have wire sides.

Thank you for your input!
yippiechickie.gif

I live in NC and use OSB. You just have to paint it or seal it. Check out my Chook Box coop. It has OSB for the sides, but it's only temp. I suggest using the nails that have the washers to avoid water getting in by the nails.

painted or stained OSB lasts alot longer than most people think it will. old schoolers frown on OSB because they associate it with composition board and other composites from previous years. today's adhesives are far superior. you might get a little lift on the edged of a few strands but the structural integrity will hold up. if you paint, prime it with a good exterior primer and be sure to seal the edges well. i like stain because it's easy to freshen up down the road. use a good solid or semi solid exterior stain like Cabots, Olympic, or one of the new products from Thompson.

The OSB over time will not last. Its OK for a year or so but its hard to get
the paint to seal the ends where the most moisture is collected. There are
some waterproofed OSB boards such as "Advantec" but they are expensive
and difficult to work with for siding. "Advantec" is around 30-35 bucks a
sheet and comes only in 3/4 thickness. If you want permanent and some-
what better priced, try the Hardee Plank or Hardee Siding. It comes in 10 inch lap siding or 4x8 sheets like plywood. Its a fiberated
cement product thats easy to work with and is permanent. You can paint
it or leave as is. I've never seen any swell or rot or come apart ever.
I used it for the sides on my coop and to me its the product of choice
for wet weather.
jim
095.jpg

OSB is no different then plywood. All use mulitple species of tree and varied sizes of fragments and all are held together with glue. Use the OSB if cost is an issue. Check out the roofing section at your hardware store and look for roof flashing. There is also a type of drip edge that can be used. Use this on the corners and caulk the edges to keep water out. Then coat the whole thing in several (and it will take several) thin coats of exterior paint. I made my shed this way tens years ago and I haven't had to replace anything yet. Make sure the edges are covered. Also remember that OSB is not an exterior rated material and is not intended for this use but it can be used successfully is the proper care is taken.

hope this helps

jeremy

We have an OSB shed that was painted with 2 coats of primer (Kilz) and 2 coats of exterior paint (Colorplace from Walmart) and it's just now starting to swell at the corners after 3 years. I think it's great to use OSB until finances allow regular plywood

Quote:
for outside surface i used Cabots Problem Solver primer (oil base) and two coats of solid stain, this was on pine trim, hardboard , brickmold and spruce dimensional lumber. for inside the coop i used one coat of Kilz and one coat of Glidden semi gloss interior latex.

Quote:
yes, southern North Carolina.
i just built the coop but the three log cabin dog houses and pump house i built are stained with a transparent Cabots and my house is in solid Cabots stains. i'll take stains over paint any day i can.

Back
Top Bottom