Osteoporosis

Dr Brownstien has a book on salt. I really enjoyed reading it, as I am a 'salt head'!
Gray Celtic sea salt is my favorite!
I just finished reading it. I agree it is well worth reading. Dh read it too, the next day, he asked me to empty all the salt shakers and fill them with celtic sea salt.

I also saw that the Amish store carries Redmond Ancient Sea Salt, so we will try that too.

An added benefit is these taste better than white salt. Ds has a friend who is a serious chef (went to culinary school and everything). He collects these types of salts because each has a different taste.

I've also started taking a pinch of Celtic sea salt when I drink a glass of water. Not every time because I don't have much trust the source of that idea. My sister shared a video of a woman teaching a workshop. I don't know who or where. She says taking the salt at the same time helps the water enter the cells when the cells need it. She says a person can be hydrated between the cells while being dehydrated within the cells.

I have doubts about that theory but this salt with water tasted extremely good.

I know cattle will eat a LOT of mineral salt quite quickly when they are deficient in minerals. Then back off to very moderate amounts. Other species do similar things. So I'll test it out a little.

Edit to add: she said a "pinch" is as little as a few grains and as much as (I can't remember; quite a lot more) - I think she said go by taste.

Last edited:
This may not be much different than the link and quotes on the last page. I either absorbed a little more from it being a little less new to me or it has some different info. Either way, I want to study both papers again later.

I did not realize how connected kidneys are to minerals in the body and to bones. CKD-MBD is a helpful term for this. It stands for chronic kidney disease - mineral and bone disorders.

https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/abs/pii/S0024320522008487

This paper is about cardiovascular effects of CKD by looking at calcification of blood vessels. "...The major event in vascular calcification is the transformation of vascular smooth muscle cells into osteoblast and chondrocyte-like cells..."

Osteoblasts are the cells that form bone.

"...Improving skeletal and cardiovascular outcomes in CKD patients requires a greater knowledge of the complex connections between the main regulators of the bone-vascular axis. Through parathyroid hormone (PTH), phosphorous, calcium, fibroblast growth factor-23 (FGF-23), calcidiol, calcitriol, sclerostin, and klotho, the bone-vascular axis communicates with the RANK/RANKL/OPG system and Wnt/-catenin pathway. The progression of CKD has been associated with downregulation of the Wnt/-catenin pathway, which is mostly mediated by the concurrent rise in sclerostin [20], [21].

Vascular calcification and cardiovascular illnesses are linked to Chronic Kidney Disease-Mineral Bone Disorder (CKD-MBD). The interconnected processes that control these parameters are dramatically altered as renal function declines. As a consequence, significant alterations in the bone and mineral hormonal axis occur, resulting in changes in bone turnover and clinical outcomes such as decreased bone mass, enhanced bone fragility and fractures, and related vascular and valvular calcification...."

From the same paper...

"...The passive deposition of calcium with aging into the valve leaflets was assumed to constitute a permanent degenerative mechanism associated with vascular calcification. It has been established that it is an active inflammatory process related to atherosclerosis..."

Note to self: look further into the balance between inflammatory and anti-inflammatory factors for multiple reasons.

As a start for the inflammatory/anti inflammatory...

Omega 3 have an anti-inflammatory role (among other roles)

Omega 6 have an inflammatory role (among other roles)

We need both. We get both from diet only.

The research says the best ratio is between 1:1 and 1:4. The standard western diet provides between 1:15 and 1:17.

Sources of omega 3 include: oily fish, flax seed, meat from animals that did not eat a lit of corn

Sources of omega 6 include: soybean oil, corn oil, meat from animals that ate a lot of corn

This would be a good start.

Right after cutting all hydrogenated oils, and, even more important, partially hydrogenated oils from the diet. They both ramp up inflammatoriness.

And dh is ready for his haircut

As a start for the inflammatory/anti inflammatory...

Omega 3 have an anti-inflammatory role (among other roles)

Omega 6 have an inflammatory role (among other roles)

We need both. We get both from diet only.

The research says the best ratio is between 1:1 and 1:4. The standard western diet provides between 1:15 and 1:17.

Sources of omega 3 include: oily fish, flax seed, meat from animals that did not eat a lit of corn

Sources of omega 6 include: soybean oil, corn oil, meat from animals that ate a lot of corn
Yes, I've been reading about the omega 6 and 3 issues.

Our Western diet will kill us, and break the economy in the process. We can't afford to take care of the illnesses that we giving ourselves. The big businesses concerned with producing our food won't stand for the changes we need to make.

So I'm making them on my own.

Back
Top Bottom