Osteoporosis

Source

"..,A recent hip hop study—no not the music, we literally mean hopping—has shed some light on how to reduce fracture risk, specifically fractures from osteoporosis. The study, conducted through a special mapping technique at the University of Cambridge, demonstrated that just two minutes of hopping per day could strengthen hip bones and reduce the risk of fractures after a fall...

After a full year of hopping, bone mass increases were observed. Most startling was that there were improvements in the thinnest areas of the bone..."

Exercising is good for building better bone health...brisk walking is good. I've Iived in the sun all my life and my vitamin D level is low.

How is your vit K level? Vit K is needed for Vit D to do its job. I don't know how it is needed though. If it has to do with generating vit D, it might matter. If it is letting vit D function then it might not.

Oh. This needs more looking into before I start taking much apple cider vinegar. I was about it for other reasons - I'm trying to get myself ready to be a kidney donor (lol, preferable a live donor).

The transplant center cares about the cholesterol levels of the donors. That is what is keeping my daughter from qualifying and my levels are iffy sometimes. I know cutting exercising more and out junk food is the way to go but I was looking at acv for other reasons when I saw that lowering ldl and raising hdl is one of the claims for acv that has more science evidence behind it that most claims. According to a website I know nothing about.

Attachments

• 87EE614F-334D-4666-9A58-4DFC6FCB9B20.png
    87EE614F-334D-4666-9A58-4DFC6FCB9B20.png
    563.5 KB · Views: 1
  • A971D5BF-A49A-45A5-BACD-7B51B0467FE9.png
    A971D5BF-A49A-45A5-BACD-7B51B0467FE9.png
    545.6 KB · Views: 1
How is your vit K level? Vit K is needed for Vit D to do its job. I don't know how it is needed though. If it has to do with generating vit D, it might matter. If it is letting vit D function then it might not.
All of my other vitamin levels were normal. The only one that was low is the vitamin d.

Oh. This needs more looking into before I start taking much apple cider vinegar. I was about it for other reasons - I'm trying to get myself ready to be a kidney donor (lol, preferable a live donor).

The transplant center cares about the cholesterol levels of the donors. That is what is keeping my daughter from qualifying and my levels are iffy sometimes. I know cutting exercising more and out junk food is the way to go but I was looking at acv for other reasons when I saw that lowering ldl and raising hdl is one of the claims for acv that has more science evidence behind it that most claims. According to a website I know nothing about.
Be extremely careful with this and do more research before you start taking it because if I'm not mistaken it can inhibit the absorption of calcium which can cause all kinds of other problems.
Exercise is another great thing that can lower your bad cholesterol.

I'm on a quest to lower my LDL. My HDL is great, my triglycerides are ok, my total cholesterol is very high (241), mainly because of my LDL (137).

Oatmeal 5-6 times a week, more greens, more exercise. I'm taking vit D3 3-4x a week, because the bottle I bought was the high potency stuff, 625% RDA, and I thought that might be too much every day. My vitamin D tested acceptable, but on the low end. I have osteopenia, so this is definitely on my radar.

Yes. My son-in-law.

So far, I've found quite a bit of information on the higher risk of bone problems for the recipients (well, people with kidney failure) but not much information about the donors.

Last edited:
Since I can't find much info on osteoporosis relative to kidney donors, Dh suggested looking for info on the effects of mild kidney disease on bones.

This Link is sort of a metastudy. In addition to collecting relevant studies "...in this study, we investigate the correlation between CKD and osteoporosis along with their pathogenesis, diagnosis, management, and preventive strategies against fracture..."

"...Calcium, phosphate, vitamin D, and PTH (parathyroid hormone) play key roles in bone formation and mineralization by maintaining normal bone homeostasis. Regulation of mineral and bone metabolism relies on the regulation of calcium and phosphate, which depends on the function of several components, such as PTH, vitamin D, calcitonin, fibroblast growth factor-23 (FGF-23), and klotho. These components maintain serum calcium and phosphate levels within the normal ranges by modulating the absorption, excretion, and storage of both elements. The parathyroid gland, kidney, and intestine are the organs involved in this mechanism. CKD (chronic kidney disease) alters this normal regulation and increases the risk of fracture. The investigation of their influence on bone helps in understanding the mechanism of CKD-associated osteoporosis..."

Back
Top Bottom