Ostrich Eggs, Chicks, & Juvies

Hi,

I am finding wire fences a bit expensive. Do you find that the wood fences are cheaper and can hold the ostrich within?

Dennis

Hi,

I am finding wire fences a bit expensive. Do you find that the wood fences are cheaper and can hold the ostrich within?

Dennis

All of our perimeter fencing is wood. We use 4x4x10 treated with 2x6x16s. We put 40lbs of concrete at the base of each post. We go 5 rails high with a top wire made of double strand barbless wire on stretchers. The posts are sunk 4 feet into the ground. It is WAY overbuilt and costs $27.00 per foot. It's MUCH more expensive than tpost, field fence and a hot wire. You can get a roll of medium gauge field fence for about $100 at your local feed store. A small row of hot wire is about 14 bucks at tractor supply. Tposts you can set every 10 feet. They are about 4 dollars a piece for 6 footers. You need insulators for your hot wire, the kind that stick out about 4 - 5 inches.. Face both the fence and the hot wire in towards the birds. The hot wire will zap them a couple of times and then they will stay off that fence line. Round your corners with field fence on the inside so that a bird who is trying to get away doesn't get stuck. And finally you can get away with a 100 x 50 area for a breeding trio. We actually go a minimum of 150 x 150 but that's our personal preference. In any case, the last thing you need to get is a cheap solar charger for your hot wire. You can get them on eBay for around 70 bucks.

So to recap:
30 Tposts: 120.00
Charger: 70.00
Fence: 100.00
Tpost Insulators (30): ~20.00
Gate: 60.00
Total: $370.00

That's probably the best you are going to be able to do as far as price is concerned that will actually contain the birds.

I am interested in beginning to raise ostriches. I live in Alpena, Michigan 49707. Do you ship chicks? If so, what are the rates? Do you sell and ship fertile eggs and, if so, at what cost?

Thanks so much!

Carrie

I have lots of question concerning your ostriches. Can you call me at 757-739-0400.
Respectfully,
RAM

Back
Top Bottom