OT: YouTube hatching videos

RubyNala97

Crowing
8 Years
Apr 9, 2015
Hudson Valley, NY
Has anyone else watched the dozens of YouTube videos of hatching chic/ducks eggs where people are hatching with incubator lids off and pulling babies out of shells during zip, like it is the completely normal thing to do??? I can't wrap my head around it! Just wondering if anyone else has thought the same thing! Sorry for making this random post, but why do some do this??

Has anyone else watched the dozens of YouTube videos of hatching chic/ducks eggs where people are hatching with incubator lids off and pulling babies out of shells during zip, like it is the completely normal thing to do??? I can't wrap my head around it! Just wondering if anyone else has thought the same thing! Sorry for making this random post, but why do some do this??
LOL. I don't watch the videos, I watched a couple the very first time I incubated. I don't pull mine out of the egg while they are zipping, I don't have a reason to, they do well on their own, but I often open my bator during hatch so it's not hard for me to "wrap my head around". lol For me opening the bator is normal. We do it because we can. I run 75% humidity. I remove my chicks to the brooder during hatch, pull out the shells, assist if I need to. I also turn over pipped eggs that have been toppled. Not because it's neccessary, but because it drives me nuts. lol I have NEVER lost a chick that has pipped or started zipping. I have never had a chick pip and then die in the shell.

Now to tick some people off. I do not believe that half of the deaths that are claimed to be from opening the incubator are from that. You don't dry out a chicks membranes in a matter of seconds to cause shrink wrapping. It is not an instantaneous thing. I believe that the greater threat is the glueing of the chicks from the membrane/fluids. (Basically has the same effect as shrinkwrapping in regards to the fact that it can keep the chick from being able to turn in the shell to finsih it's hatch.) I also belive that if your humidity is adequate enough to begin with, the chances are slim and in cases the air flow or drop in humidity does cause drying and gluing, it's easier to catch if you are watching for the signs.

Disclaimer: I am not saying I think everyone should just fling open their bator nor am I saying that complications can not or do not occur from certain circumstances in regards to opening the bator. Obviously the less it's opened the less chances you have of complications occuring.

I am saying that I think people blow the consequences of opening a bator during hatch out of proportion and don't stop to think about the other factors during the hatch which contribute to complications such as too low humidity to begin with. Obviously someone opening a bator at 50% humidity is going to cause a different situation than someone opening the bator at 75% humidity. Or someone that has the bator open for ten minutes is going to have a different effect than someone taking 30 seconds-minute to pull a chick out.

So now that I've opened that can of words, let the arguements commence.
hide.gif

Last edited:
LOL. I don't watch the videos, I watched a couple the very first time I incubated. I don't pull mine out of the egg while they are zipping, I don't have a reason to, they do well on their own, but I often open my bator during hatch so it's not hard for me to "wrap my head around". lol For me opening the bator is normal. We do it because we can. I run 75% humidity. I remove my chicks to the brooder during hatch, pull out the shells, assist if I need to. I also turn over pipped eggs that have been toppled. Not because it's neccessary, but because it drives me nuts. lol  I have NEVER lost a chick that has pipped or started zipping. I have never had a chick pip and then die in the shell.

Now to tick some people off. I do not believe that half of the deaths that are claimed to be from opening the incubator are from that. You don't dry out a chicks membranes in a matter of seconds to cause shrink wrapping. It is not an instantaneous thing.  I believe that the greater threat is the glueing of the chicks from the membrane/fluids. (Basically has the same effect as shrinkwrapping in regards to the fact that it can keep the chick from being able to turn in the shell to finsih it's hatch.) I also belive that if your humidity is adequate enough to begin with, the chances are slim and in cases the air flow or drop in humidity does cause drying and gluing, it's easier to catch if you are watching for the signs.

Disclaimer: I am not saying I think everyone should just fling open their bator nor am I saying that complications can not or do not occur from certain circumstances in regards to opening the bator. Obviously the less it's opened the less chances you have of complications occuring. 

I am saying that I think people blow the consequences of opening a bator during hatch out of proportion and don't stop to think about the other factors during the hatch which contribute to complications such as too low humidity to begin with. Obviously someone opening a bator at 50% humidity is going to cause a different situation than someone opening the bator at 75% humidity. Or someone that has the bator open for ten minutes is going to have a different effect than someone taking 30 seconds-minute to pull a chick out.

So now that I've opened that can of words, let the arguements commence. :oops:  
In the videos, they are not opening the incubator for a reason, ex. To turn a pip over or remove a chick, they are leaving it opening for the whole hatch!! Wouldn't the babies get cold?

LOL. I don't watch the videos, I watched a couple the very first time I incubated. I don't pull mine out of the egg while they are zipping, I don't have a reason to, they do well on their own, but I often open my bator during hatch so it's not hard for me to "wrap my head around". lol For me opening the bator is normal. We do it because we can. I run 75% humidity. I remove my chicks to the brooder during hatch, pull out the shells, assist if I need to. I also turn over pipped eggs that have been toppled. Not because it's neccessary, but because it drives me nuts. lol I have NEVER lost a chick that has pipped or started zipping. I have never had a chick pip and then die in the shell.

Now to tick some people off. I do not believe that half of the deaths that are claimed to be from opening the incubator are from that. You don't dry out a chicks membranes in a matter of seconds to cause shrink wrapping. It is not an instantaneous thing. I believe that the greater threat is the glueing of the chicks from the membrane/fluids. (Basically has the same effect as shrinkwrapping in regards to the fact that it can keep the chick from being able to turn in the shell to finsih it's hatch.) I also belive that if your humidity is adequate enough to begin with, the chances are slim and in cases the air flow or drop in humidity does cause drying and gluing, it's easier to catch if you are watching for the signs.

So now that I've opened that can of words, let the arguements commence.
hide.gif
Blah blah blah. You done? I agree with everything you said, but all of those words won't fit in my head at one time.
I leave them in and don't open the bator because I'm a masochist, pure and simple
wink.png

I understand that she is spraying them down in the video (humidity) but I have the same incubator and if I left it open like that I think the new babies would get cold, especially because they are wet!

Blah blah blah. You done? I agree with everything you said, but all of those words won't fit in my head at one time.
I leave them in and don't open the bator because I'm a masochist, pure and simple;)
I just started reading the "he said/she said" thread.....LOVE IT! You guys are great!

Back
Top Bottom