Other Anatolian owers?

Rare Feathers Farm

Crowing
11 Years
Apr 1, 2008
Pleasant Valley, (Okanogan) WA
My Coop
My Coop
We have a 1/2 Anatolian shepherd who is going to be 5 years old in July. He's very sweet--to a fault.

He's gotten to the point where if he's alone, he will not take on a coyote. He's 94 pounds and the coyotes around here are about 35-40 with some closing in on 50 pounds.

Sunday night we woke up to find a coyote standing on the lawn, challenging Cash. He was backed up to the door (on the front porch) with one of our barn cats (we're thinking protecting Nigel?) and barking very viciously and not advancing. My husband got the rifle and took a shot at the coyote as it was trying to get into my sebbie pen. He missed (about a 100 yard shot) but pitch black with a bad scope. The coyote took off. And yes, we're getting a new scope! FINALLY!

We've come to realize that Cash is associating the gun with the coyotes (and he's TERRIFIED of the gun).

So now he won't go after the coyotes if he thinks the gun will be involved. The last few times I've let Brodee (the Borzoi out) and he gets blind rage towards the coyotes and could care less about the gun--which gives Cash a "pack" mentality and he too, goes after the coyote--but ONLY with Brodee and ONLY if we don't open the door...otherwise, he runs & crawls under the metal shed to hide from the gun.

Suggestions? He just started this fear of the gun & refusing to protect things, recently....

I'm also interested in reputable breeders of Anatolians who have puppy waiting lists...I am not needing or wanting a puppy right away, but just wanted to search my options and if Cash doesn't get over his issues, he'll be confined to the house and we'll need another LGD that will do his job and kill (or least threaten to kill) coyotes.

Don't have Anatolians but really like them.

Cash may need the confidence of some backup. Another dog is a good idea.

There used to be a really good Anatolian breeder in Clear Lake City, or thereabouts, Texas. But this was a long time ago and I have forgotten her name.

Definitely get another dog to back up Cash. Coyotes can gang up on one dog or lure one dog off while the rest of the pack sneaks in and attacks the livestock. You could also try desensitizing him to the gun, lots of positive encouragement and baby steps should help.

I would try associating the gun with something positive. Perhaps have a tape recording of the gun going off on low volume, stop it and give him a treat. Keep working on it until it can be on full blast and he ignores it, then work up to the real thing. I also second the idea of getting another dog, perhaps a older dog that is proven to be a guardian. This would help teach Cash better confidence. I wouldn't bring in a puppy at this time because Cash might teach the puppy the same fear...

I agree about a second dog. I was told repeatedly when I was looking that I NEEDED two of them. As they work as a team and do a good job that way. One can be over come by a pack and sometimes you might SEE one, but there could be up to two dozen out where you can't see them.

I have a pair of Anatolian/Pyr that guard my goats and do a great job of it. They are keeping a big cat off the property with their barking, so get rewarded everytime I hear that bark.

I guess you really can't blame the dog for associating the two. Many people use shake cans to startle dogs in training. I do think your right that that's what is going on with him.
I also agree that a lone dog probably shouldn't be going after coyotes. Maybe he is just smart?
wink.png

Quote:
It is never just one coyote here in the mountains. Even if I only *see* one, I know that others are around. It is dangerous for a dog of any size or ability to deal with them alone.

Our lab has the same problem with guns. She used to go crazy excited when hubby took the gun out but now she comes in the house when he goes out. She accidently got shot by a paintball gun though and that was when the problem started. She is just a couch potatoe though so no biggie for me but maybe your dog had a similar scare that is causing the problem.

Back
Top Bottom