Other Foods?

MonkeyZero

Songster
12 Years
Sep 14, 2007
Modesto Ca
Hi

I got 3 baby chicks but 1 died(attacked by dog). I have No food for them yet. I dont have food for the hens either. I dont have oatmeal. What can I feed the chicks for now(til Tues when the feed store opens)? I have cooked rice for hens, but what for the Chicks?

When I first got some baby chicks and one of them was sick, Arklady told me I could boil and egg and mash it up to feed her.

I would think cooked rice or grits would also be ok, but I'd rather someone else would say for sure.

Cassandra

Tuesday is an awfully long time for those poor hens to go on something as low in nutrition as rice. Isn't there some other way to get these poor babies some feed? How does one end up with hens and baby chicks and no way to feed them? Yes, the eggs will help. I would cook some and crush them with the shells for the hens, too.

Quote:
Well, I wasn't gonna ask. For all I know the OP found them in a box on his/her front steps.
smile.png

I actually read the rice information on another site, but I didn't want to mention it. It might have been a competitor site, plus some of the things they mentioned didn't sound exactly right to me. That's why I suggested a second opinion. The site said you could grind raw rice to a gritty consistency in a blender and feed it to them raw, but I didn't know if that was safe.

I was trying to think of things someone might have at their house that would sustain some little chicks or hens for a couple of days.

If I were in that situation (things happen! I might lose all my feed in a storm or to a predator and not be able to leave the house for a few days) here are a few things I might try:

-cooked ground meat (any kind of meat)
-low salt soup (or even salty soup in an emergency)
-canned meat or vegetables (no salt is better)
-Pancakes torn into little pieces (can be made with just flour, water and oil in a pinch)
-fresh fruits & vegetables

In a real emergency, chickens ought to be able to survive for a day or two on almost anything that a person would eat.

On the other hand, if it's the feed store that is the problem, I have found that I can buy chick starter and chicken feed at my local Piggly Wiggly (grocery store chain.)

Cassandra

Last edited:
Go to the grocery store and get some oatmeal, put it in a bag and crush it with a rolling pin, the chicks can survive off it for a day or two.

While you're there pick up some black oil sunflower seeds for the hens, you can also give them a little cat food to help get them through.

Back
Top Bottom