Other methods rather then deep litter

Quote:
First of all, like straw, pine needles will compact with the droppings so they are probably best with a regular schedule of removal.

On the issue of acidity, there are different thoughts. Penn State University recommends the use of pine needles in compost and states categorically, "Oak leaves and pine needles won't make your compost pile and soil too acidic. Both of these plant wastes have a minimal effect on the pH, or, acidity level of the soil."

I don't have any concern about acidity but I have soil (& even irrigation water) that runs to the higher pH levels.

The local Master Composters set up a demo every year. I have been amused to see that pine needles are THE major component in their compost each and every year. But heck, a pile of pine needles, a little chicken manure, a couple shovelfuls of dirt, and water - the result is a good-looking compost in just a couple of months.

Steve

We went from the deep litter method to the sand for litter in the coop and run. We like the sand much better. Everything stays cleaner, the chickens like it, and we have not spent as much money. We are still using pine shavings for just the nest boxes.

We also find that little cleaning of the coop seems necessary now (except under the roosting area).

Our climate is very wet so we do not find everything dries out. However, it is much drier than it was when we were using shavings. This thread is encouraging me to try DE.

Quote:
Nothing's maintenance free, sorry to say.

In the 'water room" section of my bantam coop I have sand on the floor. I did this so when I replace the water I don't have to worry about wood shavings getting wet if I should spill some. This area is very small and I have a layer of 2 inches of sand idown and then I rake it out every month or so when replacing and it's fine.

However, if you did the entire coop in sand you'd probably have to be a little more diligent about cleaning it out like bi-weekly instead of monthly. You could also add DE to the sand which would help with the smell.

I use deep litter shavings, and live in mid-Delaware. It doesn't cost much for my 5 hens, but this is my first year and I don't know how it will work in the garden. We have sand in the run. I can't imagine sand in the coop, because I think it will be cold once it gets the least bit wet. Plus, what do you do, sift thru it to get the poop out, like a cat box? I like that my hens drop down from their roosts onto a cushioned surface, which sand would not be. Plus moving that much sand into a coop - it is VERY heavy. This is a new wrinkle to me!
roll.png
hmm.png

Quote:
Ditto for SW Washington. I use sand in coop and run and love it. I have a reach in coop and just rake off the big clumps of poo that managed to not make it on the droppings board. My coop is bone dry. outside is another matter... it has rained and rained here the last few days. if not for the sand they would be hip deep in mud. I love sand. mine is just the sand from the local sand gravel and bark dust place. cheap by the truck load. highly recommend.

is it spring yet?

I use pine shavings inside the coop with poop planks. The coop gets cleaned out every morning and stays odor free that way. My older hens love lounging around in the pine shavings in front of a sunny window on cold days.

Out in the pen, I started out with pine chips. After a year of trying to keep the pen clean, I got rid of all the wood chips and brought in sand. It's actually decomposed sandstone that I shoveled into my pickup from the roadside and brought home. It's about three inches deep over clay soil. Without the sand, I'd have a nightmare clay mud problem.

The sand is working out beyond my wildest expectations. It's a breeze to clean the pen with just an ordinary cat litter scooper. In fact this decomposed sandstone is mildly absorbent, and acts very much like cat litter. I have absolutely no residual odor. I quickly scoop up droppings every time I visit the pen, and the compost pile benefits.

Neither my coop or my chicken pen smell. If I had neighbors, they would adore me.

Neither my coop or my chicken pen smell. If I had neighbors, they would adore me.

I do have neighbors, and they do! No smell from my place and I have 16 chickens. I've had 20​

I use "deep litter" with horse bedding pine pellets. I HIGHLY prefer them over pine shavings (shavings is what I started with). When they soak up the moisture (or 8" of rain floods my coop
he.gif
) they turn to sawdust and dry out quickly in the air. Once they are sawdust you can scoop them like kitty litter if you prefer.

I do have neighbors, and they do! No smell from my place and I have 16 chickens. I've had 20​

I have a linoleum floor and use pineshavings and DE. We sweep and mop the coop every week. I WISH I had put in poop boards under the roosts, that might have saved me cleaning the coop twice a month, rather than every week.

After the coop is mopped we put a light layer of DE followed by the pine shavings, by the next Saturday morning, it's ready to be cleaned again! For much of the year, we put the weeks worth of poop w/ shavings into the garden....we've never had an acid buildup problem.

Back
Top Bottom