Other options for keeping chicks warm other than using a heat lamp?

Many people use heating plates like the one you linked to. There are several different manufacturers of them. "Brinsea" is a common one.
I ended up getting a "Premier" one for my chicks, and it was FABULOUS.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01N7U6BUJ/?tag=backy-20

They work really well, and my chicks were always comfortable and happy. Very little fire risk, which is why I bought one. I highly suggest a chick heating plate.

Many people use heating plates like the one you linked to. There are several different manufacturers of them. "Brinsea" is a common one.
I ended up getting a "Premier" one for my chicks, and it was FABULOUS.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01N7U6BUJ/?tag=backy-20

They work really well, and my chicks were always comfortable and happy. Very little fire risk, which is why I bought one. I highly suggest a chick heating plate.

Thank you, I may order one of those!

I also use a heating plate and my chicks love it. The only down side is that the chicks do learn how to get on top of it very quickly and of course they poop all over. Not a huge deal and it cleans off fairly easily.

I also use a heating plate and my chicks love it. The only down side is that the chicks do learn how to get on top of it very quickly and of course they poop all over. Not a huge deal and it cleans off fairly easily.

Use this product on top of the plate, most stores carry it. It sticks well, easy to remove. I could get the cone top for the heat plate, which is useful, but is too pricey to justify whenever I check. This time we forgot the Press N Seal on top of the plate, but have been using a paint scraper to scrape off the dried poop. Will fully clean it before storing it again.

C296131C-DD87-4993-BA3B-5F1354D6873E.jpeg

I use a heating pad, here it's often called a MHP/Mama Heating Pad system, basically a free set up if you have an old heating pad and some other materials from around the house to recycle into it.
Many heating pad have automatic shut off after 1 or 2 hours. One either needs to find a version that does not, or defeat it somehow.

I've got two batches of chicks and I'm using the a brinsea brooder plate with each group - my day old chicks also got a lamp for the first ~36 hours to make sure they stayed warm while they figured out the brooder plate and where food and water was.

I'm brooding ours in our barn so I didn't want the fire risk of a lamp out there 24/7.. the temps have been in the 40's for the last few days and they all seem perfectly fine.

Back
Top Bottom