Other Pets & Livestock Database

Kevin565

Crowing
Premium Feather Member
10 Years
Dec 22, 2009
As our community is rapidly growing so are the visits down to this section. Often the threads started are asking about how to care for a particular species and various similar questions. Hopefully this thread will become a quick reference that our members can find information for their question. This is open to all all kind of creatures. Dogs, Cats, Rats, Snakes, Lizards, etc. If you have experience or quite a bit of knowledge on a certain species or breed feel free to make a profile below for them. I will start off with a personal favorite.

Name: Wolf Dog
Experience Needed: Will Depend on content. Low and Mid content can be incorporated with moderate training experience. High Content require quite a bit more work and should be left to someone with quite a bit experience or someone who has a lot of dedication
Origin: Unknown
Diet: A Good quality kibble along with weekly even daily meat feedings.
Temperament: Varies on individual. In general Wolf Dogs are fairly shy to strangers but once they've gotten to know their owner are very attached to them.
Colors: Will vary much depending on breeds used.
Environment: Not a apartment dog. Requires quite a bit roaming room. Low and mid content are relatively easy to housebreak. High Content can sometimes be house broken but will require a lot of dedication.
Family: Many People with families do own wolf dogs. They are usually ok with children. It is not suggested to keep them with infants because the crying upsets them very much.

Additional Notes: Wolf Dogs are not pets. They are companions. They can be a great addition in the right situation. They are defiantly not for everyone. They will become very attached to the main care giver.

46006_sashas_face.jpg

46006_sashas_face.jpg

46006_sashas_face.jpg

46006_simba.jpg

46006_simbas_face.jpg

46006_sasha_and_cookie.jpg

Last edited:
Name: Ferret
Experience Needed: Not a lot of experience needed.
Temperament: Varies on individual. Ferrets in general are very energetic which can lead them into trouble.
Colors: Albino, Silver, Sable, Dark eyed white. There are many different patterns which leads to many different markings.
Diet: They need a a proper ferret food. Kitten food is often substituted BUT this can have some some health issues. I have a ferret that is blind due to previous owner not giving proper nutrition.
Environment: Very Well rounded. Many people keep them in apartments as well as houses. They do need a few hours out each day for exercise.
Family: Ferrets can make great family pets

Notes: Ferrets are a very unique creature. I have found them to be a excellent addition to the family. I do not suggest them for young children because ferrets can be very nippy when young which can hurt children if not cautious.

46006_46006_2011-08-29_182245.jpg

Name: Jack Dempsey
Experience Needed: I do not advise cichlids for novice aquarium keepers. They're aggression can be hard to control.
Temperament: Aggressive.
Water: Fresh Water. Requires Ph between 7.0 - 8.0. Water Temperature between 72 and 86.
Colors: Normal Phase and Electric Blue
Diet: They need a a proper tropical fish food. Many People also include live foods but that is a personal choice.
Environment: When younger than can be housed in a smaller grow out tank but for a adult size I wouldn't suggest anything less than a 55 gallon because these fish grow very large.
Tank Mates: Green terrors, Red terrors, Fire Mouths, Oscars, Convicts, Jaguars, and other Jacks.

Normal Phase:
jack.jpg

Source: http://www.willegal.net/tropical_fish/jack-dempsey.htm

Electric Blue:
ElectricBLue.jpg

Source: http://www.cichlidforums.com/showthread.php?t=28280

Name: Corydoras AKA Cory Cats
Experience Needed: Great for novice fish keeper
Temperament: Very Peaceful
Water: Fresh Water. Requires Ph between 5.8-7.0 . Water Temperature between 72 and 79.
Colors: Over a hundred different species so colors vary greatly
Diet: They need a a proper tropical fish food. Algae Wafers can be given as a treat.
Environment: Most People suggest a minimum of 30 gallons because corys prefer groups of 6 or more. If you do choose to house them in smaller please remember to never get a single cory. They need at least one more of their kind
Tank Mates: Almost any peaceful fish. Avoid keeping with fish with large mouths because when they try to eat them the cory often becomes stuck in their mouth. Usually killing both fish.

CoryCats.jpg

Source: http://www.aquariumdomain.com/viewSpeciesFreshwater.php?id=4#

Quote:
A note about ferrets:

Do not, EVER, for ANY reason, leave them alone in a room with other small animals. EVER. You will only have the ferret left.

thumbsup.gif
Thanks for the note. I couldn't agree more. Even tame ferrets can easily snap when left alone.

Name: Great Dane
Experience Needed: They can sometimes be a little stubborn and will require training due to their large size but this is reasonably easy.
Origin: Germany
Diet: A Good Quality kibble. BEAWARE of BLOAT. This is a big health concern to Danes and is fatal if not treated immediately.
Temperament: Gental Giants though some individuals can be more aggressive in general they are a peaceful dog.
Colors: Brindle. Fawn. Blue, Black, Harlequin, Mantle, Merle, White
Environment: Not a apartment dog. They take up alot of space and really need to stretch their legs.
Family: Great Family Dog

Notes: Very People friendly and would make a great addition to the family. Watch out for bloats because it's a big killer in the Dane Community. They do eat quite a bit. Also, please note that they do not have a very big life span. Tend to be good with other pets if raised with them.

46006_diamond.jpg

46006_cookie.jpg

Quote:
Learned that the hard way...twice
smack.gif

once was with one of my ferrets and my un-guarded pet mice, and the other was sevral years earlier, and well, it involved a ferret my mother was critter-sitting, one of her cats, and a litter of newborn kittens
hit.gif

all was good though...sorta...because two kittens survived and momma cat killed the ferret.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom