Other Pets & Livestock Database

Quote:
If you were talking to me, you're quite welcome
smile.png

Thank you so much!
hugs.gif
. I'm really hoping to get this to be a good reference guide for people considering adding another animal to the family.

Ill post on Jacob sheep. my favorites.

Experience needed: Some...atleast have to be fimiliar with sheep/goats or owned one before. Thier horns are sometimes intimidating but are no threat to humans, only ram vs. ram.

They can live as old as 17 years old, (my friend and long time breeder linda bjarkman holds this record) she had a ewe pass this spring at this ripe old age.

Temperment of the Jacob sheep is usually skittish, they are more leary of new people or surrounding and will stay clear of them, but with me they are right under me stepping on my feet, and sometimes it gets to be a hassel at feeding time. But they can get very tame, i show and halter break my lambs with no problems. Rams are aggressive if they are in breeding season or competition for other ewes. Never have 2 rams in the same pen, unless there are no ewes for them to fight for. they will break eachothers necks! or if they break a horn they are dead.

Diet includes anything and everythign they are great foragers, i feed 2nd or 3rd cutting hay because they waste so much of 1st cut. i also give them very little grain they are a primitive breed and thrive with plenty of pasture. but some of us dont have that at our convienence and that is also fine just be sure they have plenty of hay to munch through the day.

Shelter needed is also very slim, i find that they would rather sit under the trees in a rain storm, and to seek shade from sun. If a snowstorm is really bad they will go in thier run in shed. thats all they need.

now enjoy my pictures!!!

my big boy oliver

8420_animals_124.jpg

the famous Reno

8420_animals_105.jpg

my first lamb i ever raised and had born

8420_sadie.jpg

twins! they always twin...

8420_twns.jpg

8420_2_horns_twins.jpg

another of oliver...freshly sheared

8420_rammm.jpg

About half the herd on pasture at my grandmothers

8420_animals2_063.jpg

stella a ewe lamb from spring

8420_animals2_005.jpg

Name: Sea Monkeys
Experience Needed: You will need to do some research but once you get the hang of it they are relatively easy to raise.
Origin: A hybrid brine shrimp created in New York Ocean Science Laboratories
Water: SALT WATER. Sea Monkeys are often killed because their is not enough salt in their water. Marine Salt is needed. Water Temperature between 70 and 75.
Diet: You can feed them the food that comes with them but eventually this will run out. Here is a alternative diet recipe:
Hard-boil an egg. Discard the white and mash the yolk in a small bowl with a fork.

Mix the tablespoon of dry baby food, 3 droplets of liquid fry food, and a pinch of fish food flakes into the egg yolk, creating a paste.

Mold the mixture into 1-inch-long logs and place on a lightly oiled cookie sheet. To dry out the logs, put them into the oven set on low (or about 200 degrees) for about 30 minutes.

Crumble the dried logs into the airtight container for storage.

Source: http://www.ehow.com/how_5369557_make-sea-monkey-food.html

Environment: Do not require large aquarium. Have been kept in containers as well as small tanks.
Tank Mates: None

Notes: Raising Sea Monkeys can be a rewarding experience as well as a great source for food for fry.

sea_monkeys.jpg

Source: http://caroline-ho.blogspot.com/2010/11/ocean-monkeys-sea-monkeys.html

383843-24228-33.jpg

Source: http://www.buzzle.com/articles/sea-monkeys-care.html

Quote:
Please do. The more breeds and species the better.
big_smile.png

Back
Top Bottom