Other Pets & Livestock Database

Name: Red Slider
Experiance Needed:
Lots of research, make sure you have a setup before you bring one home.
Temperament:
They actually learn to recognize their owners, and will swim up to you when they see you for food. They can be very friendly.
Colors: Just one color- brown shell, yellow and black skin, yellow and black undershell, and bright red patches on the side of their heads.
Diet: When their younger, they eat more insects, such as crickets, mealworms. When they get older, they eat more lettuce, and water plants. A good healthy diet would be a mix of commercial turtle pellets, and insects and plants (the ratio depends on age). Some people aslo feed feeder fish from pet stores. Feed younger turtles every day, and older turtles every other day. Turtles can not regulate their own diets- they will eat and eat. You can tell if your turtle is overweight by seeing if it is too fat to pull itself into it's shell. :) Note: Turtles have to eat their prey in the water! They have no saliva.
Enviroment:
They need a good sized tank. The little bitty turtle you buy at a pet store is not going to stay that size. They get up to 10-12 inces. Males are smaller. Measure the shell leanth, and multiply it by four. That's the number that the leanth of your aquarium should be. (A 10 inch shelled turtle should have a fourty inch leanth tank). They will need a floating turtle dock, or sloped gravel and a rock, for basking. A UV light needs to be placed over the rock. They love to bask. The water temperature needs to stay from 70-80.
Family:
They should not be bought as surprise gifts for children. Your child has to understand that these turtles can live to be 70 years old! This can be a lifetime commitment. If you are going to buy a turtle for a child, you have to understand that you will have to take care of it once the child leaves for colledge, and the child may lose intrest before that. Turtles are not dogs- but in my opinion they are very intresting to watch. Just seeing them eat and bask is enough entertainment for me. They are very beautiful animals and can make good family pets but it has to be discussed first.
Other Notes:
Turtles can also be housed in ponds, with koi and goldfish. Do not keep turtles and fish in the same aquarium unless the fish are twice as big as the turltes head! Anything the turtle can eat it will! Also don't house turtles with fish with long flowing tails. Those tails WILL be nibbled.

Great Profile Starlover21
thumbsup.gif

love.gif
I have 3 dogs in addition to my chickens. I have a Golden Retriever, Duke, that is 9, a Dachshund/German Shepherd mix, Honey, that is almost 3, and a Miniature Dachshund, Ozzy that is 4. My Golden and the doxie mix were both rescues. The miniature Dachshund came from a person but I really think she was running a puppy mill. He got sick 3 days after I got him but is fine now. All my dogs love the chickens! They will let me know if a bird gets out, they won't chase it, they just come to the back door and let me know something is wrong! I love each and every one of my animals as if they were family--even the 2 legged family member are special!

Name: American Eskimo Spitz
Experience Needed: Research about this breed before you get one.
Temperment: protective of family, HYPER, mine is sweet, but I only have experience with her
Color: White
Diet: good dog food..LOTS of chew toys

Not really sure what to put on a profile..lol

Name: American Eskimo Spitz
Experience Needed: Research about this breed before you get one.
Temperment: protective of family, HYPER, mine is sweet, but I only have experience with her
Color: White
Diet: good dog food..LOTS of chew toys

Not really sure what to put on a profile..lol

As an owner of American Eskimo I can add my 2 cents:

This dogs don't have a 'dog' scent. I read long time ago that this is the only breed that don't smell like a dog.
They are mostly devoted to ONE person only. They tolerate the rest of family of course.
They are easily trained and very obeyful to their master.

Here is Lucy 13 years old. We had her since she was a puppy.

awww..yes, mine is extremely devoted to my 4 yo. She loves the rest of us, but she is definitely his dog. She also is territorial and will not leave our yard. We did not train her to do this, she is just that way.

As an owner of American Eskimo I can add my 2 cents:

This dogs don't have a 'dog' scent. I read long time ago that this is the only breed that don't smell like a dog.
They are mostly devoted to ONE person only. They tolerate the rest of family of course.
They are easily trained and very obeyful to their master.

Here is Lucy 13 years old. We had her since she was a puppy.

Back
Top Bottom