Ouch!

Discussion in 'Family Life - Stories, Pictures & Updates' started by sumi, Aug 21, 2011.

1. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    I just did something really stupid and I have to tell you all about it, so you can laugh with me. Or not, I'm in pain here and there's nothing alcoholic to drink in this house:barnie
    I went to the chickpen to collect our two youngsters who sleep inside the house. We had to partition off a section of the pen for them, as we already have a mom and chicks in there and she's not friendly...
    To get to the youngsters I have to climb over the partition, which I'm guessing is about 3ft tall. Got in no problem, got the chicks climbed out. As I heaved myself over the partition my foot got stuck. Next thing I knew I was laying flat on my back staring at the shade cloth cover we put over the pen, still clutching the rather startled youngsters to my chest. Funny, the only thing I had time for thinking of was to turn my body so I don't fall on them! I went down like a sack of potatoes.
    Boy, I can't wait to see what my backside's going to look like tomorrow morning! My hip, knee AND ankle hurts!
    But the youngsters are fine:thumbsup

2. eenie114

eenie114 Completly Hopeless

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] Hope you feel better soon... [​IMG]

3. cravenchx

cravenchx Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 7, 2011
    Piedmont of NC
    [​IMG] Hope you have some Motrin in house
    and a lot of it. Sorry about your mishap.[​IMG]

4. sumi

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    Could've been worse, there's a thorny tree right beside the partition...
    Am starting to feel a bit better, but the two youngsters are giving me a wide berth, can't say I blame them:lol:
    Thanks for bearing (and laughing) with me:)

5. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Amazing how quickly that can happen. In my case, I don't bounce well anymore. [​IMG]

6. jtbrown

jtbrown Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2011
    Southeastern Ohio
    Ouch. I once fell backwards off of our boat -- while it was parked in our gravel driveway. Just glad my husband only saw me out of the corner of his eye. Hope you fair as well as I did with only a little scrape, bruise, and some swallowed pride! Glad chicks were okay. Ice yourself down!

7. Annie75

Annie75 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 17, 2011
    Just so long as no innocent chickens were hurt! Just joking. They must have wondered what in heck you were doing. I've always got some kind of chicken pen, guinea pig or gardening related injury these days but I haven't tried bungy jumping without the rope with an armful of chickens yet. Hope you're feeling better today.[​IMG]

8. sumi

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    That incident's turned into a joke in this house. Every evening they come sit by me, at safe distance, and stare at me. So I say "It's o.k. I'm not going to fall with you again!" DH reckons it could take up to a month before they'll forget. My backside's still a bit sore, no bruise, surprisingly.
    My worst chicken pen accident was a few months ago. We block the entrance to the chickpen with a steel door, sideways, that we climb over to get in. I went in to do something, fill water bowls, I think, and went out again. As I climbed over the door someone screamed on the road just behind our house and I looked up. An unstoppable force (my knee) met an immovable object (steel door), very hard. I couldn't bent my leg for weeks. I think I may have cracked my knee cap. Luckily I wasn't holding a chicken at the time. I would've dropped it!
    The joke on that one is that the door is such an effective barrier I can't even get in/out.[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by