Our 16 week old Khaki Campbell is bobbing her head and bowing to me?

View attachment 1208242 Well, its been about 8 months and I thought I'd pop through with an update! :)
Back in July we got a drake duckling (also Khaki) from Rural King... He has quite the attitude but has grown to love his home and woman. ;)
Though Quackerz still bows to me she has accepted Lucky (our male) as a mate and this spring we will allow the eggs to produce babies. ..(they have been making fertilized eggs like madness!)
A quirk Lucky picked up from Quackerz is showing me love. So, instead of bows he does his cute little dance and nuzzles me with his bill.... Quackerz is doing GREAT and super relaxed now that she has a mate.
Here is a picture of them snuggled... lucky 'guards' her nesting spot as she lounges in her little bed View attachment 1208240 View attachment 1208241
Such heartwarming pictures!!

20171231_232401.jpg
Thank everyone for the responses :)
It was quite the process bringing in a male she would accept...
1st) we got a sibling from the vet that gave us Quackerz. But at about 4-5 months old they were NOT tolerant of one another.. Frak was miserable seperated from his partner in crime (Frick) and wasn't used to being handled so we decided to make them all happy and allow him to return home. (We had agreed on a trial run for acceptance) And all duckies went back to happy mode... though Quackerz still needed a friend.
Sooo...
2nd) We repeated visits to Rural King looking for a duckling that seemed responsive to us and no more than days old... Finally, around July.7 ww found one. :) (by this time hubby was leaning to only habing 1 duck for fear she wouldn't accept a duckling and we'd have to rehome him)
So, we got a large tub that was low enough that she could perch on her bed and see him or they could chatter over the sides. And rather than keeping him at my side 24/7 as i did her we had him sleep next to her bed and had them play with us but seperate until he was big enough that she wouldnt hurt him. >Boy!, she was a jealous girl at first. But eased up over time<. . We even had them bathe together (water NO chemicals) but kept them at a distance and slowly allowed them to get closer...
Then, when Lucky was about 6-8 weeks we moved him into her bed but placed a divider so she could adjust to him being in her space. (It has 2 nesting beds) Then, we started moving the divider further back (pushing it deeper between nesting beds) and having them share food and water...
At about 12 weeks we had them fully together sharing a bed and able to play, run around together. And while Quackerz has imprinted on me she has accepted him as a mate and she is currently roosting 6 fertilized eggs. (Yep! A khaki couple is attempting to hatch their own )- Lucky even roosts for her when she goes to eat or socialize with us
--
It wasnt a nightmare to get them to accept one another but took patience and care.. Now they are literally inseperable as she is 1yr and he is 6months.
----
I hope the detailing of process is able to help others looking to ease in a new duck into the lone ducky homes. . And PLEASE remember these are house ducks, NOT flock. So, circumstamces can be drastically different.
If you have any questions feel free to reply here or msg me here. . I'm also on Facebook Backyard Duck Raising groups that offer alot of amazing advice and stories. :)
---
A happy New Years nibble from Lucky as he amd Quackerz enjoy a toasty soak on the freezing nights.♡♡

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom