Our accidental guinea chicken hybrid

I don't think it looks like guinea/chicken cross at all. Looks all chicken. Have you researched the hybrids - from what I read years ago most do not reach a year old, some die much sooner. Even though that was stated as just about a given - people wanted to be the first one on their block to breed them. Funny how I haven't noticed anyone posting about them for years until now..

Search for the thread "Miracle, the guin-hen," Miracle had a very large fan base and did look every bit like a guinea/chicken cross. As a young bird Miracle would tire easily and couldn't keep up with the others. Probably had the organs of a small hen, and the growth and size of a large guinea. Most of us and owner knew he wouldn't be around long. It was a very sad affair and not done deliberately.

Thanks for posting and yes...please keep us updated. I'd love to hear how things progress as well!

I've got 4 guineas, at least one is a hen. They've all taken my one rooster as their leader and they follow him around like they're his posse. Strangest sight ever!
But I noticed that just before winter that the three guineas walk around together...and the fourth one stays with the rooster! I imagine I'd get crosses if she was to lay eggs...so it happens.

The idea of a cross is new to me as well..lol.

Well it's definitely odd to get a black chick out of Rhode island reds, so there's an interesting quandary here ha-ha ;)

The guinea eggs should have been smaller, like a bantam chicken egg, and look really pointy at one end, not as oblong as a chicken egg, so keep an eye out for them and maybe try hatching more for comparison?

See, this is how people get "projects" lol, curiosity ;)

Last edited:
Can anyone tell me what you think this baby might be? A hen sat on the eggs and as far as I know there were no Guinea or turkey eggs in the pile. This is the only one of about a dozen eggs that hatched. My Guineans, turkeys, ducks, and chickens all are pretty much together and I do have a male Guinea/female hen that have been an item for months now. It is about a month old.

Back
Top Bottom