Our Babies Died a Terrible Death

that's what i don't understand. iv'e never let someone tell me "they only cost 7 bucks"
but would they say that about a dog? or a cat? to me, chickens should be treated equally among other pets. iv'e seen people give up on sick or injured birds, because "they only cost 7 bucks"

i can't do anything about it, but i feel like i should.
Agreed. Nobody would say, "Oh, it was just a mixed breed dog. You can get another one for free off Craigslist." They'd probably end up getting punched. So why talk about anybody's animals that way?

(jumped on your wife you said? Or was that another poster?)
when did i say that? that was definitely another poster. the dog would come out onto my property, and pull feathers upon feathers upon feathers. even my cat hated it. my dog, who is the sweetest thing, hated it.
Agreed. Nobody would say, "Oh, it was just a mixed breed dog. You can get another one for free off Craigslist." They'd probably end up getting punched. So why talk about anybody's animals that way?
Absolutely. i don't get it.

when did i say that? that was definitely another poster. the dog would come out onto my property, and pull feathers upon feathers upon feathers. even my cat hated it. my dog, who is the sweetest thing, hated it.

Absolutely. i don't get it.
but then my mom's friend came over, and petted it, so then it kept coming back, expecting pets. i still hate that dog. my neighbors even thought it was inferior. but the owners did nothing about it. i don't know what else to say without exploding.

People often think you're lying when you tell them a dog chewed through a chain link enclosure.
I managed a dog boarding kennel years ago and a couple times a dog chewed their way out of a chain link run! I couldn't believe it! Chicken wire? No problem. But chain link?? That's crazy. And if my memory serves me it was pits that did it! One I know for sure.

I cannot believe the charge would hold. SC codes only specifically state shooting in protection of sheep. My county Spartanburg has codes shooting in protection of all livestock. I'm not finding that in Saluda codes, but maybe I'm just not looking in the right spot. It would likely fall under common law. But you can't hunt down and shoot a fleeing animal. It has to be in the act. Did you get lots of pictures?
Yes you're right.Common laws challenge nuisance laws that prevent you from protecting whats yours.

It's really not necessary. The fences are mostly 6' tall or higher, but there is one stretch of 4' fence. Fortunately, the less aggressive dog of the 10 dogs lives on the other side of the 4' section.

Our birds went over a 6' section into a yard with 5 dogs, so again, that was on us. No barbed wire would have helped....
Maybe make the fence taller by attaching pvc pipe upright? The thicker the stronger the pvc pipe and netting is the better protection it'll provide. (spray paint the pvc pipe to match)

Hi everyone,
It is with a very heavy heart, that we lost our 6 leghorns to a very aggressive dog. The dog was so aggressive that he literally tore the chicken wire out in order to get to our hens. Our hens didn't stand a chance.
I shot the dog and the owner was so out raged he threatened me and my wife. No concern for my babies.
He will no longer be a menace(the dog). I put him away.
By the way, he was not interested in what his dog did as I tried to show him. He wouldn't even look!
Saluda Chickens, RIP!
I'm sorry for your loss.
Don't use chicken wire. It's build to keep chickens in, but not predators out.
I personally would never shoot a dog, but I'd have no problem shooting a coyote, raccoon, etc.

Back
Top Bottom