Our babies made it

Wow I would invest some time in next time to find cheaper feed. It makes all the difference in getting your money back out. I buy pallet totes of feed (which are the giant white bags that sit on pallets and they fill them up with what I want). I spend $160 per tote and that is well over a ton of feed. When I did my last batch of them I had it down to 4 bucks a bird to butcher including the price of the chick to start!

What are you feeding them? Mine get chick starter (21% protein) for the first 4 wks @ $21/50lb . I'm paying (and I think it's pricey) $23.98/50lb of turkey/gb starter which they get for weeks 5-8. Anything still walking after 8wks gets what I'm feeding my layers. I calculated all my costs and came out to $.1016/oz (I broke it down to ounces to do a comparison with the grocery sales).

Are you sure you got CornishX? They look great but seem a little small.

Is your feed organic? There's a price difference between feeds in that case. And you can't compare an organic fed chicken to store-bought supermarket prices. Pasture-raised poultry in my area (NJ) goes for aruond $5.50 / lb. So although my chickens cost $11.00/ 5 lb bird, it would be almost double that if I were to buy it from someone else!

Do you have any other pictures of your housing daviechik? I really need to move to something that I can move myself - my hubby often doesn't get home until after dark and we can't move the chickens then! That pvc coop looks perfect for what I can do this weekend! thanks :)

no, its not organic.

This is our run for during the day, it gets moved at least once a day and at night they get moved into a house (converted play house)

did another two roos' last night..... still have 6 hens left. need to do them ASAP

13 weeks old, all capped out at 4lbs. post processing. starting to believe maybe we didnt get CX

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom