our chickens came to get us!! they were locked out

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by monaandthechicks, Oct 9, 2010.

1. monaandthechicks

monaandthechicks Out Of The Brooder

Nov 1, 2009
    MA.
    I feel so bad, but I am in awe too! they free range all day, it was raining out. Myself or my son went out to the coop to check in after eggs and maybe one of us closed the door to the coop that afternoon? In any case, the sun went down and we ( my family and I) were all in the kitchen when a chicken flew up at our back door twice. My husband looked out and all 8 were there looking at us. He went out and discovered that the coop was closed. I wonder if they drew straws and made the youngest hen come get us. It was our Golden Laced Wyandotte. I got a chuckle after they were all safe and sound. How cool and funny is that? They knew where to find us and come tell us to help them!!!!

2. OregonChickenGal

OregonChickenGal Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 26, 2010
    Central Oregon
    That's neat. Just goes to show you that chickens aren't as dumb as some people think. [​IMG]

3. 7L Farm

7L Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2010
    Anderson, Texas
    Nobody likes to be locked out of their house.

4. dee88

dee88 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 26, 2010
    Texas
    That is just amazing, I'm glad they did come to you. Just think of all the horrible things that could happen to them in the dark, especially with Halloween right around the corner!!! Boo![​IMG]

5. teach1rusl

teach1rusl Love My Chickens

They were probably attracted to the safety of the light on in your kitchen, so they were certainly smart enough to seek out safety... [​IMG]

6. FlipFlopFarmer

FlipFlopFarmer Chillin' With My Peeps

Mona, you might be a chicken behavioral expert in the making! Mine have sought the safety of my LGDs in the past, and he has gone get more than one screaming lost juvenile and carried it back to the barn, but ive never had mine come tell me themselves that i didnt lock up correctly!

7. Rachel'sFlock

Rachel'sFlock Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:True dat!

8. wolftracks

wolftracks Spam Hunter

Nov 6, 2009
    Modesto
    LMBO!

Awwww how cute is that?

9. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009