Our Chickens ~ Please weigh in on genders :)

I think Roxie got pegged as a BSL because of the barring. My BR cockerel is 8 weeks and has very tight, crisp barring. He has the same ratio of white to black as your chick, but his bars have always been very well defined. Pullets, on the other hand, look almost spotty until they go through their teenage molt because they only have one copy of the barring gene and that results in less *crisp* bars. Black sex link cockerels only have one copy of the barring gene because only the mother is barred, so they only get one copy of the gene. Your Roxie has the same kind of spotty/misaligned bars as pullets (single barring gene), but the white:black ratio of a cockerel.

Someone correct me if I'm totally wrong - I've been trying for the past month to figure out if I actually picked 5/6 pullets from the TSC straight run bin, or if I got stuck with a bunch of BSL cockerels. I'm pretty much convinced at this point that I actually may have picked them well... but we'll see. The one obviously boy is very, very handsome and filling out much differently than the other chicks.

I just thought I'd let you all know that Roxie tried to crow a few times this morning. It was pretty cute. And he did it again a couple times when the kids came to listen.

I am gonna say all are hens, but the Barred Rock. The combs are real light in color & I think the
combs are larger, because they are large breed/regular chickens !

Last edited:
Chris, I have another question for you. I was wondering last night after I read your post again, how is Roxie a Black sex-link? If the sex is linked by color then was the whole bin of chickens I picked him from boys even though they were selling them as pullets? And, I am just learning all this stuff so I could just not fully understand the whole sex-linked thing. Please tell me.
Roxie is a Barred Plymouth Rock rooster, like you said. Not a BSL.

Zartan finally crowed yesterday after he saw his own reflection. He's been acting like a rooster for quite a while, too. Still no one else is showing any "boyish" qualities. Looks like it was just Roxie, Zartan and Sunny. Think I'm in the clear? Everyone is 10 weeks, 9 weeks and 8 weeks now.

We've gotten 6 eggs so far. I saw Peach go in and lay the last two so if I was waiting for a crow or an egg the wait is over for Peach:)

I also caught Mandolin laying an egg last week. I could keep updating this thread when I catch Delta, Alaska and Georgia laying eggs but I don't want to be annoying :) The conclusion of my gender questions is that:
Roxie-rooster
Zartan-rooster
Sunny-rooster
Peach-hen
Mandolin-hen
Delta-hen
Alaska-hen
Georgia-hen.

Back
Top Bottom