Our Chickens ~ Please weigh in on genders :)

chickengarden

Songster
7 Years
Mar 15, 2012
Entiat, WA
This is Alaska, a black Australorp, 5 weeks old:

This is Georgia, a Black Australorp, also 5 weeks old:

Here's, Delta, a Buff Orpington, 5 weeks old:

Here's, Sunny, a Buff Orpington, 5 weeks old:

Here's, Roxie, a Plymouth Barred Rock, 6 weeks old:

Here's, Zartan, an Easter Egger at 6 weeks old:

Now for our Rhode Island Reds. This is Peach, 7 weeks old. She's looking a little sad in this photo as she had a leg injury a couple weeks ago. You can see her leg is a little swollen still.

And lastly, this is Mandolin, also 7 weeks old:

Thanks so much for looking!

I think Roxie got pegged as a BSL because of the barring. My BR cockerel is 8 weeks and has very tight, crisp barring. He has the same ratio of white to black as your chick, but his bars have always been very well defined. Pullets, on the other hand, look almost spotty until they go through their teenage molt because they only have one copy of the barring gene and that results in less *crisp* bars. Black sex link cockerels only have one copy of the barring gene because only the mother is barred, so they only get one copy of the gene. Your Roxie has the same kind of spotty/misaligned bars as pullets (single barring gene), but the white:black ratio of a cockerel.

Someone correct me if I'm totally wrong - I've been trying for the past month to figure out if I actually picked 5/6 pullets from the TSC straight run bin, or if I got stuck with a bunch of BSL cockerels. I'm pretty much convinced at this point that I actually may have picked them well... but we'll see. The one obviously boy is very, very handsome and filling out much differently than the other chicks.

I also caught Mandolin laying an egg last week. I could keep updating this thread when I catch Delta, Alaska and Georgia laying eggs but I don't want to be annoying :) The conclusion of my gender questions is that:
Roxie-rooster
Zartan-rooster
Sunny-rooster
Peach-hen
Mandolin-hen
Delta-hen
Alaska-hen
Georgia-hen.

I think that Roxie and Sunny are definitely cockerels. I'd keep an eye on the EE (that's not a very common color fort pullets), and the 2 production reds ( it looks like they are getting hackle feathers).

Sunny and Roxy are your roos, maybe Peach, and the EE Zartan, looks to be same color as my surprise roo. Red comb starting combing up and mahoghany/red coloring on shoulders round 6.5-7 weeks

Back
Top Bottom