Our Chickens ~ Please weigh in on genders :)

Alaska -- Hen
Gorge -- Rooster
Delta -- Hen
Sunny -- Rooster and he is a Buff Rock not a Buff Orpington
Roxie -- Rooster and he is a Black Sex-Link not a Barred Rock
Zartan -- Rooster
Peach -- Rooster and he is a Production Red not a Rhode Island Red
Madolin -- Rooster and and she is a Production Red not a Rhode Island Red

Chris

Last edited:
Alaska -- Hen
Gorge -- Rooster
Delta -- Hen
Sunny -- Rooster and he is a Buff Rock not a Buff Orpington
Roxie -- Rooster and he is a Black Sex-Link not a Barred Rock
Zartan -- Rooster
Peach -- Rooster and he is a Production Red not a Rhode Island Red
Madolin -- Rooster and and she is a Production Red not a Rhode Island Red

Chris

Thanks for the breed info. I've heard you can't trust feed stores.

I've noticed you breed Heritage RIR. What do you see in Peach and Mandolin? I've looked at pictures of others their age and see more similarities to them being pullets.

Chris, I have another question for you. I was wondering last night after I read your post again, how is Roxie a Black sex-link? If the sex is linked by color then was the whole bin of chickens I picked him from boys even though they were selling them as pullets? And, I am just learning all this stuff so I could just not fully understand the whole sex-linked thing. Please tell me.

Thanks for the breed info. I've heard you can't trust feed stores.

I've noticed you breed Heritage RIR. What do you see in Peach and Mandolin? I've looked at pictures of others their age and see more similarities to them being pullets.

I don't breed RIR, but hopefully I can help. Good quality RIR are so drak in color that they almost look black. Hatcheries often sell Production Reds as RIR's, whenever you see them selling "RIR" assume that they are Production Reds. Production reds are a much lighter red than RIR. Your 2 chicks look like cockerels because of the hackle feathers that are already coming in (the pointed shiny feathers on the back of the neck). They don't have very large combs or wattles, but looking at their hackle feathers are a much better way to tell a pullet from a cockerel.

Roxie, Zartan and Sunny have all been mock-fighting the last couple days during their "outside time". I'm thinking this is also an indicator?

Back
Top Bottom