Our coop is done, our coop is done!

Fantastic coop!
clap.gif

The weathervane was a great touch!
thumbsup.gif

Quote:
rriveramri.....you may want to post your question in the 'Managing your flock' and/or 'Coop Construction" thread....Also, check out the Section "Coop Designs" on the very top of the website....they have some great coops for smaller flocks in backyards, most 'home made'> Your chickens should have acoop for shelter and protection at night as even city backyards have predators....anything from racoons, snakes, owls, hawks, dogs and coyotes are a possibility.
As far as selecting chickens.....BYC has a breed section, Feathersite has a breed section, some hatchery websites have info on breeds and my favorite is Hendersons Chicken Breed Chart....You can select breeds suitable for your climate, want/need for pet/show/egglaying/meat etc. Browse a bit and you'll find a lot of suggestins. Also check out the FAQ section.....
As far as your dogs and chickens are concerned....some are fine, others are not.....often chickens are killed or injured by dogs, many here have had trouble with neighborhood dogs or even their own. I have 2 digs and can not let them run around in the yard without close supervision. I have a run attached to the coop so dogs can be in the yard, chickens can get out of the coop but they are safe from the dogs. Usually I let the chickens ram the entire yard for 1 - 3 hours a day when the dogs are confined in the house....long reply, hope it's helpful

And BTW....
welcome-byc.gif
from WI

Back
Top Bottom