Our coop progress

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by dcouette, Jun 7, 2011.

1. dcouette

dcouette Out Of The Brooder

Apr 22, 2011
    Dryden, ON
    Started our chicken coop about 3 weeks ago. Currently have 25 ISA Brown's and 5 white leg horns. We are loving every minute of it.
    [​IMG]
    Originally the coop was 4 x 12
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Definately too small for 30 chickens! Doubled the size to 8 x 12 - Much better!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Starting to look like a chicken coop!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    My first attempt at shingling! Turned out pretty good if I do say so myself

[​IMG]
    Installing the insultated nesting boxes - our winters sometime hit - 30 so gotta make sure the girls are going to be warm!

Some pics of our girls!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Our furry baby Koda helping out throught the whole process!
    [​IMG]
    Hope you have enjoyed our adventure so far, we sure have!

Last edited: Jun 7, 2011
  2. krcote

krcote Chillin' With My Peeps

May 21, 2008
    Concord, NH
    [​IMG]

3. [​IMG]

4. Patricia Jane

Patricia Jane Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 28, 2010
    Petaluma CA
    Nice looking coop.[​IMG] Can't wait to see the finished product. It's a very satisfying accomplishment when you build your own coop. I love your dog Koda. What a precious little face. [​IMG]. Have fun and enjoy your adventure with your girls.

5. cmom

cmom Hilltop Farm

Nov 18, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    [​IMG] I have Isa Browns. They are dynamite layers.

6. so lucky

so lucky Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 31, 2011
    SE Missouri
    Your coop looks a lot like mine, shingles and all! Except we stayed with the small version because we only have 6 chickens. Tonight is their second night in the coop. I am anxious about raccoons, but we have done everything we can to make it secure, so just have to hope for the best. Tonight when I checked on them, they were all up on their roost except one. I went in and put her on, because she was trying to get up there. Last night they huddled in the corner, as they had been doing in their brooder. Guess they are big girls now! Have fun with your chickies. They are a blast!

7. ll

ll Chillin' With My Peeps

Beautiful dog [​IMG]

I am interested in your insulated nest boxes - can you post a picture or tell how they are insulated? [​IMG]

8. FeatherPainter

FeatherPainter Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 19, 2011
    Northern New York
    Great pictures, and we have a furry Keeshond named Koda!

9. JusticeFamilyFarm

JusticeFamilyFarm Chillin' With My Peeps

May 27, 2011
    Southern California
    Looks really similar to the "plans" I sent my brother (who is building my coop). Even the size- I told him 8'x12'. We'll see what I get back, though- he's in the construction industry and didn't like some of my ideas, so he maybe doing his own thing. [​IMG] I love that style of coop! Can't wait to see it progress!

10. foxfire

foxfire Out Of The Brooder

Mar 14, 2011
    Koda is beautiful. The chicks are cute and your coop is looking great.[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by