Our coop

Great idea and it looks good, too. When other folks comment on coon problems, don`t think you are safe because you haven`t seen any. Coons like urban and suburban areas and are seldom seen in the daytime. You would do well to reinforce your coop BEFORE you lose all of your pretty hens. Coons kill for fun as well as food and if one gets in, you`re out of the chicken business. Started to say I don`t mean to alarm you, but the truth is, I do mean to alarm you. Take head.............Pop

Quote:
LOL...GREAT idea!!!
lol.png

Quote:
Hey!!! You know....if the tarp is a good strong one, you could fill up the pool table "pit" with about 2-3 inches of sand. Bet they would love having an indoor sand pit to roll around in (and easy to clean out any "accidents")...

Quote:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=249289

Pop is right. Just because you haven't seen any, doesn't mean they aren't out there. The preditors are very good at finding food and chicken is on the top of their menu.

I haven't seen any coons or possum on my 4 acres since moving here two years ago but it doesn't mean they're not out there. I would be heart sick if anything happened to my girls because I didn't do what I could to protect them and that is using hardware cloth.

I discovered this great site back in the fall and read everything I could prior to getting my first chickens this spring. The Preditor and Pest section was enough to scare me. I didn't want what has happened to others over and over again, happen to me.

Just think how your little girl would feel if anything happened and how guilty you would feel.

In my opinion, the cost savings in using chicken wire vs hardware cloth just isn't worth it and I'm a single woman without a lot of extra cash.

I wonder the price difference between hardware cloth and 2/3 welded wire.

Welded wire wouldn't stop a coon from reaching in to grab at hens, but hopefully the hens are up on a safe roost where long nimble hands can't reach them.

Quote:
Hey!!! You know....if the tarp is a good strong one, you could fill up the pool table "pit" with about 2-3 inches of sand. Bet they would love having an indoor sand pit to roll around in (and easy to clean out any "accidents")...

Awesome idea... we'll try that for sure!
thumbsup.gif

I just love your coop and how you set up everything.
That's a nice assortment of chickens. My fav is the Light Brahma hen. I thought it was a Delaware, until I read your description and saw your video.

What did you name the coop?

I LOVE the gazebo idea! What lucky chickens!
thumbsup.gif

I also, however, have to chime in with Pop.

Personal experience:
old.gif

As first time chicken raisers, we put our six bo's in a chicken wire fence (that's what "chicken" wire is for, right?). We thought that we would be o.k. to keep them in a "pen" verses a coop until we were able to build our coop. We weighted down the bottoms with landscape timbers, thinking that would be heavy enough to keep them safe.

We got away with that for a LONG time, about 3 or 4 months.

But then the raccoons figured out where our chickens were, and we lost 2 in one weekend, and one more was injured and eventually died. The raccoon(s) had moved the landscape timbers, pulled the bottom of the chicken wire up, and got in. He/she even mangled the metal feeders while it was in there.

Raccoons are strong and smart and vicious about their chicken meals.

Please reinforce those areas around the bottom and those windows.

Wishing you a predator free chicken experience.
hugs.gif

It is obvious you care for them. Wonderful that they can be in the yard during the day and the spacious home you have created is a mansion. I expect to see them in sun glasses and your flip flops going up to the dust bath atop the pool table. That will make a great addition. The coop is cool.

I too, have to agree. There are safety issues. You are not going to want to see what predators are capable of. I suggest you make that a priority.

Back
Top Bottom