Our coop

spamanon

In the Brooder
11 Years
Apr 10, 2008
Our girls and boy like it! I thought I'd share it.

chicken_yard.jpg

The chicken yard.

chicken_yard4.jpg

The coop from outside.

chicken_yard5.jpg

The nests and roost box.

chicken_yard6.jpg

Some goodies waiting in a nest.

chicken_yard7.jpg

The goodie-getter.

chicken_yard8.jpg

Lots of fertilizer in that roost box for the garden!

chicken_yard2.jpg

The chickens.

how nice and how delightful to have that huge yard. Envy runs in my little chicken heart.
jan la banan

how nice and how delightful to have that huge yard. Envy runs in my little chicken heart.

Thank you. We are on just shy of 2 acres. One acre is for our goats (you can see them in the background of a pic or two), and most of the rest is our front yard and garden. Right now the chickens have about 30' by 50' of run. They also get to go out and play with the goats on occasion.​

Don't you love those gigantic eggs the red stars lay? My other birds have all slowed to two eggs a week, but my red star is still churning them out like it was July. Great setup, my chickens are jealous!

Don't you love those gigantic eggs the red stars lay?

Hello,

We haven't had red stars yet. We do plan on getting a different kind of bird each year until we find a breed we really like. We started off with a straight run of 50 golden sexlinks, now we are down to 18 birds. We froze most of the boys, and sold some girls. The meat return from this breed is nothing to be excited about, in my opinion.​

Is it just me or is there about 3 or 4 eggs in the roost box?
hu.gif
How odd..Ive never seen that before.

Quote:
Hello,

We haven't had red stars yet. We do plan on getting a different kind of bird each year until we find a breed we really like. We started off with a straight run of 50 golden sexlinks, now we are down to 18 birds. We froze most of the boys, and sold some girls. The meat return from this breed is nothing to be excited about, in my opinion.

They are the same. They are just called different names by the different hatcherys.

Quote:
Hello,

We haven't had red stars yet. We do plan on getting a different kind of bird each year until we find a breed we really like. We started off with a straight run of 50 golden sexlinks, now we are down to 18 birds. We froze most of the boys, and sold some girls. The meat return from this breed is nothing to be excited about, in my opinion.

They are the same. They are just called different names by the different hatcherys.

This is what I got offline:

Gold Sex Links are a breed cross using Rhode Island Red males and Rhode Island White females. The female chicks are streaked with red or gold and can be separated from the solid white male chicks at one day old.

Red Sex Links are a breed cross using Rhode Island Red males and Delaware females

Black Sex Links are a breed cross using Rhode Island Red males and Barred Plymouth Rock females. The male chicks have a white spot on the top of their heads and can be separated from the solid black female chicks when they hatch.

Brown Sex Links are a breed cross using Rhode Island Red males and silver factor White Rock females.

Back
Top Bottom