1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!
  1. spamanon

spamanon Out Of The Brooder

Apr 10, 2008
    Our girls and boy like it! I thought I'd share it.

[​IMG]
    The chicken yard.

[​IMG]
    The coop from outside.

[​IMG]
    The nests and roost box.

[​IMG]
    Some goodies waiting in a nest.

[​IMG]
    The goodie-getter.

[​IMG]
    Lots of fertilizer in that roost box for the garden!

[​IMG]
    The chickens.

2. derby

derby Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 18, 2008
    Boonsboro, MD
    Love the roost box!

3. La Banan

La Banan Chillin' With My Peeps

May 28, 2008
    how nice and how delightful to have that huge yard. Envy runs in my little chicken heart.
    jan la banan

4. spamanon

Apr 10, 2008
    how nice and how delightful to have that huge yard. Envy runs in my little chicken heart.

Thank you. We are on just shy of 2 acres. One acre is for our goats (you can see them in the background of a pic or two), and most of the rest is our front yard and garden. Right now the chickens have about 30' by 50' of run. They also get to go out and play with the goats on occasion.​

5. Heather J

Heather J Chillin' With My Peeps

May 29, 2008
    Don't you love those gigantic eggs the red stars lay? My other birds have all slowed to two eggs a week, but my red star is still churning them out like it was July. Great setup, my chickens are jealous!

6. spamanon

Apr 10, 2008
    Don't you love those gigantic eggs the red stars lay?

Hello,

We haven't had red stars yet. We do plan on getting a different kind of bird each year until we find a breed we really like. We started off with a straight run of 50 golden sexlinks, now we are down to 18 birds. We froze most of the boys, and sold some girls. The meat return from this breed is nothing to be excited about, in my opinion.​

7. havi

havi [IMG]emojione/assets/png/2665.png?v=2.2.7[/IMG] Si

Mar 23, 2008
    Waco, Texas
    Is it just me or is there about 3 or 4 eggs in the roost box? [​IMG] How odd..Ive never seen that before.

8. DouglasPeeps

DouglasPeeps Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 26, 2008
    Colorado
    Quote:Hello,

We haven't had red stars yet. We do plan on getting a different kind of bird each year until we find a breed we really like. We started off with a straight run of 50 golden sexlinks, now we are down to 18 birds. We froze most of the boys, and sold some girls. The meat return from this breed is nothing to be excited about, in my opinion.

They are the same. They are just called different names by the different hatcherys.

9. redoak

redoak Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 27, 2008
    Russia, NY
    Nice coop and big run.

10. havi

havi [IMG]emojione/assets/png/2665.png?v=2.2.7[/IMG] Si

Mar 23, 2008
    Waco, Texas
    Quote:Hello,

We haven't had red stars yet. We do plan on getting a different kind of bird each year until we find a breed we really like. We started off with a straight run of 50 golden sexlinks, now we are down to 18 birds. We froze most of the boys, and sold some girls. The meat return from this breed is nothing to be excited about, in my opinion.

They are the same. They are just called different names by the different hatcherys.

This is what I got offline:

Gold Sex Links are a breed cross using Rhode Island Red males and Rhode Island White females. The female chicks are streaked with red or gold and can be separated from the solid white male chicks at one day old.

Red Sex Links are a breed cross using Rhode Island Red males and Delaware females

Black Sex Links are a breed cross using Rhode Island Red males and Barred Plymouth Rock females. The male chicks have a white spot on the top of their heads and can be separated from the solid black female chicks when they hatch.

Brown Sex Links are a breed cross using Rhode Island Red males and silver factor White Rock females.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by